Gay Friendly Trucking Companies?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by joshuhl, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeadfootSlider

LeadfootSlider <strong>Queen of the Confused</strong>

Jul 15, 2006
    Crystal Spring, PA
    I have noticed, over the past ten years of driving, that there seems to be quite a few gay people at U.S. Express, in comparison with other companies their size. Does that mean they are gay friendly? I don't know. My best advice is to ask drivers you know that are openly gay. They would know better than anyone else.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2010
    It varies...
    I saw a Schneider driver working in full drag outfit. Ran into him/her at the port in Philly a couple of years ago...
    :biggrin_2554:

4. LavenderTrucker

LavenderTrucker Medium Load Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Omaha,NE
    My overall experience has not been bad. I had to run with one jerk of guy for just over three weeks, but, other than that I have not run into any other bad experiences.
    Bashing... (not physical, but verbal) is goin to happen... not just about sexuality, about beig over weight, being female.. or male I imagine, being blonde,... whatever they can find...
    However, that beng said... most the drivers I have run into really haven't been bad... even when they had opportunity.... I was at a truck stop and needed to wash the windshield, I am too short to really be able to use the squeegee part... so, I have to open the hood and climb up... only, the hood on the 2001 379 long nosed Pete was pretty heavy, I weigh just under 130lbs... anyway, we were in the fuel line, and I went to open the hood, well, my first attempt was pathetic... my second attempt a bit better... my third was soooo close... and then finally I got it... Nobody gave me any grief, and a couple guys even offered to help... But I knew I could get it on my own, and I was determined too as well.... I really am surprised no one gave me any grief... maybe they did over the cb, but, nothing that I heard.... But, I was a prime target... being a woman, being a rookie, being blonde... but, they let it all slide... LOL... I however had a good laugh about it... and still do...

JRYCSD Thanks this.
  5. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    A trick to lifting the hoods is to first lift them by the fender/wheel well next to the cab.A lot of hoods stick at the firewall causing you to pull on the hood instead of tilting it.It also helps if the hood hinges are greased.

6. LavenderTrucker

Oct 29, 2009
    Omaha,NE
    Thanks.. I did learn that trick when I saw another driver do it... I have it down now... it also helps to lift the piece that the front license plate is on, so you have better footing... LOL

I have been catching up on my reading here... You know, one thing that comes up time and time again, and it did here, although not in a bad tone... But I was just curious..

This whole dressing like a man thing... I mean, I am driving a truck and pulling a flatbed... I think I am just wearing appropriate work clothes... work boots, jeans, sweatshirt, work cloves... sometimes a ball cap, sometimes a bandana, sometimes nothing on my head...
    How else would one dress to for that type of work... irregardless of their gender, or their sexuality...
    You see me walking into the truck stop in my practical work clothes after tarping or untarping a load and draw the conclusion that I am dressing like a man...
    Well, I have yet to see a man tarping or untarping or even driving a truck in a suit or his Sunday best.

If I dressed differently, say more traditional female, then you would call me a bimbo o #####.

When I am out here, I am working. I keep myself clean, somedays I may wear a little make up, some eye liner and mascara... If I do, it is for myself, not for anyone else. I keep my nails short, not to look like a man, but because I work with them and I don't like dirty nails, it is easier to keep the clean and do my work with short nails. I do have a short hair cut... that is how I like it... it is not to look like man.

I love being woman. I don't think that because I drive a truck and am pulling a flatbed and wear appropriate work clohes makes me any less a woman.

I also happen to be a woman who is a lesbian and is secure in myself and proud of who I am.

To be honest with you... I would still dress they way I do, be drawn to the same type of work and act pretty much the same way I do now if I were straight.

I just can't imagine myself being any other way than myself and they way I am now.

7. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    I don't think it's as much the kind of clothes you ware as much as the shape they're in.I could care less about a lesbian wearing jeans and long sleeved shirts etc.What I have a problem with is the fat truck drivers that are wearing shorts and T shirts that are a size too small and look and smell like they just dug them out of a dumpster.I came back into the U.S. for a few weeks one time and that was what I saw in the first truck stop I walked into.This guy was around 200lbs over weight,wearing blue bicycle shorts and a Tshirt that was to small.There was a good four inches of bare gut hanging down. :smt078

During the ten years I drove in the U.S. I couldn't recall ever seeing a female truck driver that wore a dress.It was all pants and shirts.I did know a woman that drove a flat top cabover once.She would put her top on and then put a sun dress on and climb out of her truck.She'd then pull her pants up under her dress and then take her dress off and throw it into the cab.

8. LavenderTrucker

Oct 29, 2009
    Omaha,NE
    That is one thing I do find amazing about the truking industry... Every other place i worked had policies or rules or whatever that I had to be eat and clean in my appearance, all had some sort of dress code.

In trucking... if you hire me to drive your trucks... I will interact with people along the way, shippers and recievers and so forth... So, aren't I a reflection of your company...

I am amazed at some of the drivers I see out here... and I am amazed a company would allow them to represent them that way...

I am flatbedding... and I can't help but get dirty... but, I also always clean myself up... Sometimes in between picking up a load and dropping it off.. I will be little more casual, I will be clean, because that is how I like to be, but I will be a little more casual... Then, before I get to the shippers/recievers I spruse up... or if I go there after hours and stayed the night, then I make sure I am up and looking good by the time they open.... So, myself and my clothes are neat and clean and fit me properly, my teeth are brushed and my breath fresh and I am ready for work and to represent myself and my company well... That to me just seems like a no bainer...

Yet... I have seen drivers just roll out of the bunk, throw on yesterdays, (and maybe the day befores too) clothes that are dirty, wrinkled and smelly, they don't do any grooming or anything and interact with the shipper/receiver.... I would not want my company represented that way...

Maybe I also have more respect and pride for myself, I may dress casual, but, I am clean and look presentable... ready to be in public... I don't walk around in my pajams and slippers, which I have seen other drivers do.....

As far as people being over weight.... well, some people are over weight, but, they are still clean and presentable.... There are reasons other than being lazy, or eating too much or not caring that some are over weight.... I have a good friend who eats a lot less and more healthier than I do, and is very active too... just her metabolism must be slower than mine or something, because she is over weight... She takes good care of herself and always looks good, she dresses well.

Now, the guy I just rode with was also a very large guy and very over weight... I didn't like who he was as a person for many reasons... so it was easy for me t think of him as a fat slob... in truth, the weight wasn't the problem... I would of disliked him as much for his personality traits and all had he been skinny or even ripped...

On the other hand, one of the first trainers I had was a great great guy, very picky about his truck and meticulous in keeping himself, the truck and all very clean. he too was over weight... had a big ol' belly... He was such a great guy that I guess his belly just made me thing of Santa or Buddah... cause I never once thought og him as fat... I do remember at first he seemed a bit gruff and kind of scary... but, then I got to know him and he went from grizzly bear to teddy bear... LOL

9. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    Try Schneider they have a gay friendly driver web site called Pumpkindriver.com. I also think they have gay friendly dedicated accounts and gay friendly freight too.:biggrin_25524:

10. gcrays

gcrays Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Nashville TN
    Schneider is the only one with an intentional gay-friendly attitude. UPS freight has the most gay-friendly policies and is working towards domestic partner benefits. But as far as overall policies and attitudes, FedEx is the best.

I find it very interesting that some people here who are saying "Keep it to yourself" and "Don't ask don't tell" are compelled to express their own views while telling others to keep it to themselves.
    The bottom line is, in 10 years no one will care. So why not be joyful, honest, and positive now. That goes for everyone.

11. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Gays Hotshot

out of Casper Wy........

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.