Gear ratio over drive or direct for heavy haul up to 110K?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Nick34, Jan 12, 2019.

1. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    When it comes to torque on a driveline the lower the transmission gear the more torque is multiplied. So if you need an 18 to 1 ratio to get moving which is in the vicinity of the direct 10 speed eaton offers as well as the 18 speed how much torque are you really putting on the driveline.

Have you ever seen one twist before it comes out? That's caused by the transmission output shaft moving but the differential input shaft not moving. Another words it took more torque than the shaft could stand to get the load moving. With a low enough gear your right something is gonna move, bend, break, or blister.

Dino soar, cke, SAR and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nick34

Nick34 Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Ok thanks for your input I will do some more research on ot

4. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Yep.... usually when you try forcing 10 pounds of mud in a 5 pound bad, something is sure to come, break, or bleed.

IH Truck Guy, cke, SAR and 3 others Thank this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Why not just make it a 6x2 while you're at it? Save tons of fuel only powering 1 diff instead of 2.

cke, Czar_Zero, wore out and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Nick34

Nick34 Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2019

7. Nick34

Nick34 Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2019
    They will because I dont run up over 100 000 very often also we spec it with meritor 40 000 rears witch are like a super 40 heavy bearings and pinion also you get a heavy drive shaft from what I can see is it may be more torque on the drive shaft but not crazy more. Detroit said the other option they would consider is running the DT 12 with a single overdrive with 3 08 rear gears but even they say the overdrive will not be as good on fuel as the direct. I would like to try the direct but I also dont need drive shafts flying out of it so I do get what others are saying . So I threw the question out to y'all to see what every thinks. As far as running 4 11 or 3 90 that's the old school way of specing trucks your rpm will be to high at cruising speed and Detroit won't spec one like that unless you are doing super heavy work like gravel trucks multie axle floats things over 130 000

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Thing I think you fail to realize is fuel economy is the last thing on a heavy hauler's mind. They simply don't give a #### if they get 4 mpg or 6 mpg. The truck is built heavier to do the job right. Its about having the right tool for the job and being able to depend on said tool to perform well. Lower fuel economy is just the cost of having the right tool for the job.

Tombstone69, cke, SAR and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Nick34

Nick34 Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2019

10. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    That all depends on cruise speed. Most of us run slow. Too much can go wrong at a higher speed and less time to react. I also know that the claim crazy low rpms, it has been my experience. Low rpms just really don’t pan out tugging on a big pig. Just what I have observed from the trenches.

cke, SAR, wore out and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. Nick34

Nick34 Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2019
    I agree that's they way alot of them think and have thought that way for years but there has to be a happy medium because at my weights 4 mpg is unacceptable for a 180000 $ truck there are new gear ratios and transmissions out there that are better for fuel economy if I'm specing a new one out why not make it good on fuel and be able to pull the heavyweight just trying to find the right spec for my operation

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.