Gear shifting and clutch question.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Canadianhauler21, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Hello everyone, I've posted here a few times in the past and I have finally gotten the hang of down shifting and upshifting. I realized that whenever I'm sitting at the lights and i put it into gear 2 instead of 1 the gear grinds like crazy. Why is this? I was backing up today with my trainer and he told me not to press the clutch all the way down and keep it down maybe 2-3 inches. I panicked and pressed the clutch down all the way and when I released it the whole truck started jumping and shaking. Same thing happened to me at a light during a left turn, I had the clutch probably more than 3/4 of the way down and shifted into gear 2, when I released it slowly, again the whole truck started jumping for about a second or two before becoming normal again. I'm confused on why this keeps happening to me. I've also stalled once on a right turn, felt like a giant idiot blocking 2 lanes of traffic. When I'm driving in traffic I have no problem. My main problem is when I'm stopped and have to get going again.
    How far exactly are you supposed to push the clutch down when you choose a gear at the lights?

Why is it bad to push the clutch all the way down to the floor?

Sorry for the noob questions, I'm 20 years old and don't have much experience.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Emgee

Emgee Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Because if you push the clutch all the way down to the floor it engages the clutch brake. I'm not a mechanic at all so maybe someone can give you more technical answers, but basically since the truck transmission doesn't have any synchronizers the input shaft has to stop in order for the gear to be engaged smoothly (in your starting gear from neutral).. If you continually push it all the way down, or hold it down at a red light lets say, it will wear out the clutch brake and then you will be stuck grinding it into a gear from neutral. The truck jumping and shaking was probably the effect of pushing the clutch down farther than you are used to... you either let it out too fast, too high of a gear or the combination of both. When you are at a light and in neutral, you always push the clutch to the floor to engage the clutch brake and allow you to smoothly put it in your 'starting' gear. Now they teach you to double clutch in school.. but other than using the clutch brake to get it into a starting gear or reverse, I haven't used it to actually shift since i got out. Like I said, maybe someone with mechanical skills can explain more clearly than I did.

4. Emgee

Emgee Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Oh, and at a red light, don't sit there with it to the floor the whole time.. put it in neutral, then when the lights about to change push the clutch down to the floor to get it into a starting gear so you don't wear it out :)

5. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    That is for those who can do it fast, some will sit there till the light changes until they get it in gear, holding everyone up and then they go on yellow.

6. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    It is technically not correct to sit at a light in neutral (even though we probably all do it).

After you come to a stop, push the clutch the floor to activate the cluctch brake. Once in gear, hold it down about halfway to 3/4.

This video here explains the whole thing pretty well:

Canadianhauler21 and tscottme Thank this.
  7. pmdriver

Nov 14, 2017
    Could be a reason some of us do not race to the next stop light to only sit, we let all the others race ahead and as we come up to a stop we select our starting gear before coming to a stop not needing the clutch at all unless we have to stop. It makes many angry because we keep rolling along behind all the got be firsts saving wear on our trucks and not having to start from a dead stop every time our fuel mileage is a bit better. We also know we are #1 because of all the salutes we get.

8. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    I always glide up to the stoplights like that, and get told I'm #1 as well!

9. pmdriver

Nov 14, 2017
    Well when we give them the peace sign back, are we really telling them they are #2?

10. Emgee

Emgee Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Rohnert Park, CA
    I feel like I should play the lottery if I don't get flipped the bird AT LEAST once in the day.

11. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    If cars aren’t passing me when I am coming up to a red light I know I am going too fast......I do not want to sit at a red light, I want to keep some momentum rolling so I don’t have to touch the clutch, as I will float into 2nd gear a ways back, as needed. So if I do get caught by a red light I am not holding the clutch in for very long.

I luv stale red lights, if there are some cars ahead of me they can get through the fresh green, and I can start upshifting.

I hate stale green lights as I don’t know when they will turn yellow.

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.