Gen 5 DD15 vs DD16

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by gator22, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Chrisap55

Chrisap55 Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    The smaller DD13 will run harder and hotter, reducing the need of the EGR recirculating exhaust and soot into the engine compared to the DD15 or 16. Better fuel mileage, less potential for emissions problems, etc. That said, it is smaller, so bad habits will be noticed slightly faster, such as idling for example.

I honestly miss having a Cummins. My first truck was a 2017 International ProStar with a Cummins and 10 speed and I drove the treads off that truck literally. I've been in a 2020 and 2021 Cascadia with Detroits since then and both have had issues with coolant level sensors on both of them, one had a starter solenoid go bad after 170K miles, they both have needed EPU work or whatever you called those battery powered systems. They're garbage compared to an APU.

FerrissWheel Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MicksRule

MicksRule Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Apple Valley, CA
    I haven't missed my Cummins one bit and haven't had issues with either Detroit I've owned. A '16 Cascadia DD15 and a '19 5700XE DD13. I bought both new and traded the Cascadia at 327k. The 5700 currently has 212k. I had one NOX sensor failure on the DD15 around 250k. Otherwise no real issues other than regular maintenance.

Of course I have run a diesel powered APU's in both, so idling has been minimal.

MartinFromBC and YardMule89 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.