General Lee CB Radio

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by BTShepp, Sep 24, 2016.

1. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    I'm thinking of getting a new (used) radio. I can get a General Lee for $180, tuned up and has echo. Worth it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. delta5

delta5 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Ohio
    Depends on how butchered up the radio is...

flood, Turbo-T, Ougigoug and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Agree with questions asked by Delta and Rabbi, who tuned it if used and who is going to tune if bought new. If tuned properly the General Lee is probably one of the best 10meter/export radios you can buy. The radio is similar to the Connex 3300 ( same board ) and has crystal clear loud audio, excellent receive, and if you choose to use echo probably the best sounding echo there is. The SRA 198 mic also comes stock with the General lee. There is a good review on CBRadiomagazine.com if you want to read that, but for the money I would recomend getting one if you want to go the export route.

BTShepp Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I would walk away from anything that has a echo.

6. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    We all pretty much know your stance and opinions on echo thats why I worded my reply " if you choose to use echo" , I personally dont have any use for it and rarely hear any radios with it on sound good, but with my experience with a General Lee if you set echo knob on 1100 oclock and time knob on 700 oclock it doesnt sound too bad, just my opinion.

bored silly and BTShepp Thank this.
  7. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the input, everyone. I don't know how old the radio is, or what kind of work the seller did to it. I do know he says he worked on it. I will fortunately have the opportunity to go there in person and try it out for myself before I purchase it. It's looking to be a very popular radio and I look forward to getting one.

8. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    I know echo is controversial on CB. I've never owned a radio with echo, but quite honestly, I am curious to try it out. I know it doesn't help with weak transmissions or any other nonsense. But I am curious to use a tiny bit to get reverb.

9. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    Ask the seller if the limiter is intact and make sure that he didnt install a swing kit or some other modification that does more harm than good.

Turbo-T, rabbiporkchop and BTShepp Thank this.
  10. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Thank you, I will do that. Is there anyway for me to tell without any equipment other than listening on another CB radio or plugging it into my RadioShack power SWR meter?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.