General Lee Ham Bands

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by ProfessionalNoticer, Feb 13, 2022.

1. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I've had my GL for years and only used it on CB but I've been getting interested in ham lately. How do I tune it to those frequencies? I only see channel options on my radio.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
  4. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    So it looks like F channels 12-40 are the only 10 meter bands available on my radio instead of the whole spectrum of 28 to 29.7. Am I understanding this correctly?

5. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Yes those radios aren’t that wide banded.
    I’ve been out of the loop for 12+ years. Some of the new radios may go up there.

6. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    10 meter radios don't get cb channels. They must be modified to use the cb bands this modification takes away their ability to use all of 10 meter bands...

7. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    That's unfortunate. I always thought I'd be able to use both when I bought it many years ago.

8. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I have a couple president hr2510 that I think will go to 29 something. I think they renamed them the president Lincoln.
    I think the rci 2950 will also.

9. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    @ProfessionalNoticer I have no idea about your GL, but I looked into this before buying an RCI 2970N2.

If you really want to explore 10M you need a radio with a frequency tuner, SSB, and a fine tune control. The channelized tuners skip a lot of frequencies even if you can reach the band. 10kHz between channels misses a lot. My RCI can step in 500Hz increments if memory serves, useful when fine tuning a weak signal.

FWIW I never heard much of interest on 10M. Once in a while some DX calls and that's about it. In my old T-600 I had that RCI and also a Kenwood TM-V71 (2M/70cm). I set that Kenwood to scan the repeater bands and there's almost always someone talking unless I'm out in the middle of nowhere. If you haven't already, get an inexpensive HT on 2M if you're just wanting to try out ham radio. 10M ain't worth the trouble in my opinion.

10. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    I've looked into the RCI2970 and the Lincoln V3. Still trying to decide which one to go with. You're the first person to recommend 2 meter. I l naturally gravitated to 10 and 12 meters simply due to them being all in the same box and already in my truck.

At least I thought they were all already in my truck. I didn't do enough research when I bought the GL several years ago. I guess late is better than never. I'm looking forward to starting the journey and getting my Tech license.

11. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    I have a tech license. I looked at the general test questions some, but not enough to pass.Tech is pretty much limited to VHF and UHF for voice. My renewal is coming up in a couple years, and I plan to actually prepare for it and upgrade.

I wouldn't get too deep in regret with the GL. It's very capable on 11M and you're not missing anything on 10M in my opinion. Before I got the tech license, I bought a Yaesu FT-60 HT, and a better antenna for it, to do some listening. There's a lot more to listen to with that, than the RCI on 10M. There's even cheaper Chinese HT's with a ton of info online, if you wanted to save a few bucks. I opted for the pricier Yaesu, mainly because not Chinese. I figured if the hobby didn't stick, it would sell easily on eBay. I still have it, if that tells you anything.

If I just stand outside with it, I can reach a half dozen active repeaters from the NE ATL suburbs, about a 30 mile radius. Inside the house I have a mag mount antenna stuck to a computer case cover up on a book case that about doubles the range on it. My only regret with the Yaesu is that it doesn't have much for digital modes, which according to a much more knowledgeable ham radio friend, is where most of the UHF chatter is. At the moment my plan is to get the general license and spend that money on something HF capable versus just digital 2M/70cm.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.