General Lee talks only 1 mile

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Paint4584, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Paint4584

Paint4584 Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2019
    Hello, I have a brand new General Lee 10m converted to 11m so I can use it on cb channels in my dump truck. I got this radio on eBay. It’s said to be peaked, tuned, and aligned. It is hooked to a Wilson 2000 and the swr meter reads about 1.2 on 1 and on 40. My problem is that I can only get out with this radio about a mile. At a distance of two miles the radio sounds terrible, if it can be heard at all. I have had several people that I work with say that it doesn’t sound good like a General Lee should. Also, there is barely any modulation at all from what I can see on the built in meter. Is there something wrong with this radio? My old stock 29 did better than this thing. Please help! Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Is it just too quiet or do they say it sounds distorted?

Some of those "tweak and peaked" radios don't sound good that close. it's like a beer can in a blender.

I would try turning down the RF power down ( i think it;s a high/low switch on the General Lee) and probably the modulation/mic gain to 3/4 and see if it improves.

flood Thanks this.
  4. Finfn1372

Finfn1372 Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Greenville,NC
    It's probably the tune,take it to a reputable shop so they can look at it,most shops do free bench checks.

craig_sez and flood Thank this.
  5. Lowboy456

Lowboy456 Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2017
    I heard a fellow dump truck driver I know on his Connex 3300HP talking 5.8 miles away with a 4ft fiberglass antenna. I couldn't talk back to him with my Cobra25 that far though.
    I heard him pull on the scales talking to the asphalt plant and I was at the drop 5.8 miles away. Those get 40 watts on AM.
    I think they are pretty much the same radio as the General Lee.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.