Generator for the tractor

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Beethoven, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

We also have a few recent posts here on TTR with guys complaining about problems with their APU's. I cant imagine the diagnoses and repair will be cheap,.. not to mention the down time.

Another reason I cringe about the costs associated with an APU. Its kinda like a modern car or pickup truck. They are so complicated now. One sensor goes bad or reads wrong and it can throw false codes or improper diagnoses can end up with excessive repair costs just to end up replacing a simple O2 sensor.

My wife had a 96 Mustang Cobra. After we put headers on it. The cheap paper gaskets that came with them started to go bad and created a very minor exhaust leak. The electronics were so sensitive that it caused the O2 to read lean. The incoming air the MAF read did not match the what the O2 needed to see so it made the car run pig rich. Took me 2 months and about $1500 throwing parts and good money after bad to figure it out. The fix was to just put $12 Fel Pro stock mesh gaskets back on.

Hurst

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    bzinger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I had one of the first tri paks when they first came out and it did well until it got into the 5000 hr range and then it started nickel and diming me to death .

Hurst Thanks this.
  4. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I've never had one. I rescued one of my carriers trucks that had one and the AC from the APU did not work that great.

The only other reference I can go by are the ones that come and park next to me and soon as they fire up I almost wish I was parked next to a reefer or someone idling. Anything but that putt putt putt putt putt small diesel lawn tractor noise those APU's put out. The ones that start and stop all night drive me crazy.

Hurst

bzinger Thanks this.
  5. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    How often do you guys do oil drains on your generaters ?
    My manufacturer recommends 100 hrs but I run Mobil 1 in it and it will be running in 100 plus temps alot .

6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I do mine around every 6 - 8 weeks or so. Probably bit more than the recommended 100hrs. I pull and clean the plug. Blow out the air filters. Change the oil. I finally changed the plug a couple months back. Its been a fantastic generator for me. Not a single issue.

Hurst

7. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    That would be fine for guys who just plan to run an AC with it. I have my computers, printer, TV, satellite and box with remote. I need inverted power that matches household current and wont spike and hurt electronics. That is why I bought the more expensive Honda.

That and if it ever needs service,.. there are thousands of Honda certified shops across the country. RV centers and cycle shops being the most prolific.

Hurst

nonsense007 Thanks this.
  8. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Well Hurst as I said before this weekend down here was going to be the experiment .
    It's 103 degrees right now , sitting in the sun with all the windows covered , fan blowing ac air into the sleeper , crock pot going .
    Having to idle the truck about 10 mins an hour to help the window unit or it gets warm in here .
    That won't be a problem when the sun starts to go down and I can live with 10 mins an hour.

9. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Think I'm gonna keep mine ata 100 hrs or less givin the heat and the hostile environment it operates in .

10. nonsense007

nonsense007 Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Reidland, Kentucky
    I get mine serviced at an authorized Honda service shop, every 2 months, haven't had a problem yet. It has clean power to use my computer which is great.

bzinger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.