Generator side box

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Elroythekid, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    The needle and seat/ float keeps the float bowl at the proper level, if not all motorcycles would start rich with full tanks and lean by the end.
    Not sure about the legal safty inspection side of adding it to the truck stack?

loudtom Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    A properly designed system, sure, but if you added twice the fuel you might need a regulator.

What would be unsafe if done properly ie welded.

Either way just barnstorming.

Elroythekid and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  4. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Generac iq 3500 closed frame unit. Will set you back around 1200.00; buy a cover for it and use a few extra bungee cords on it when traveling.
    Simple set up bolted down right behind cab. I just had to move my service lines back a bit.
    Piped exhaust to rear of tractor with 1" flex steel. You couldn't see it, so it didn't look like some hillbilly set-up.
    Pull the canvas cover off when you need and your good to go.
    Gets about 9hrs run time.
    Sold the truck so I can't really say how long gen lasted.

I had unit wired from 30amp RV plug to a Espar bunk heater, block heater, and bunk inverter. Summer times I used with a oscillating fan; no way I was mounting a window, or RV AC unit on my rig. Draw the line there.

I did the gas gen thing, all said and done 1500.00 plus cost. So as long as its done right and looks professional it is your choice, but!

Have to fill unit when you start your 10, and right before you turn in for sleep.
    Worry about keeping your gas can full.
    C02 issues; my monitor in truck went off twice, either due to wind or snow drifts.
    Bad idea piping any combustion engine exhaust to another, could back feed to sensitive engine sensors, which could lead to trouble.

City flood pumps, compressor stations, or big multi back up power units all have independent exhaust.

All that being said, and for the AC side, diesel factory APU would be the only way to go. Cost ya, but in the end much better set up.

staceydude and Elroythekid Thank this.
  5. cjb logistics

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Elroythekid, on your original question about box. I seen a person parked once with a Montezuma tool box that was cutted ( mounted on side frame rail: SM200B), just using this number so you can see box. This is on my farm/Work truck. He/She had had an aluminium version (might have been a ranch hand or after market no name) and a little bigger. Lid was open and a Yamaha closed frame was running with extension cords through bunk side door.

staceydude and Elroythekid Thank this.
  6. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Had a generator powered by a Briggs & Stratton motor, It was always shut off when I woke up.

Snailexpress and Elroythekid Thank this.
  7. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    @Hurst

Hurst has a great system and has written about it several times. Beautiful custom box for the generator and gas cans.

I loved having my generator, but absolutely hated the constant walk to the gas pumps. And storing the can with proper securement. I am now looking for a used RV diesel generator to mount instead. No more gas cans.

A question for you technical minded ones: Does an APU engine have all the power generating parts on it? I don't want the A/C system, bunk heater, or any of that stuff. All I want is a diesel generator in a case. I already have a rooftop A/C with a heater. I just need 110v to run it and go to my inverter/charger. The guy at Vander Haags wouldn't answer my question.

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  8. cjb logistics

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Michael H, somewhere on here last winter..... there was a tread on a diesel gen sold some where in Florida. Nice little unit but that was about as far as I got. Nothing but gen side, no other parts hanging off unit.
    Sorry can't find info on it, but will keep looking.

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  9. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    I went as lazy as you could.... I literally just chained it to the catwalk.

Never had anyone complain or any smell in the cab.

6D0B7B48-F2F1-440C-BFAC-21B91B96BF41.jpeg

10. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    That is pretty much how I mounted my Champion. Except, I used u-bolts to secure it to the catwalk. Without a box over it however, it was destroyed by the elements. It got old and rusty way before its time. It's now at the house as a backup for our frequent power outages in N. Arizona.

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  11. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    Yeah, she was pretty much just my summer unit.

In the winter I have a webasto so don’t need a generator.

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.