Georgia Driving Academy: CDL School

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by NordicNomadic, Jan 29, 2018.

1. NordicNomadic

NordicNomadic Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Cumming, GA
    Day 1
    Started school today!

This initial post will be short but I will post about my experience here and share my perspective. Thus far, communication, application and the personnel here have been nothing short of precise. I set almost impractical expectations on myself and others yet I can't point to any flaw with GDA. My advisor and classroom instructor have left me with nothing to question thus far. I assume that as I learn what I don't know I will begin to see cracks that I will want to fill and I guess this is where the rubber meets the road with training schools but again, to their credit, well done.

As a 47 year old I've been around long enough, been burned with empty promises, sold empty pots of gold and seen people and organizations sell their souls to settle a passing moment. Not here. By the book, simple, honest, nice, and focused. In passing, all the other staff has presented a professional attitude and they all seem to be "on page". I see no wasting going on here. As a veteran and a former athlete these are fundamental to success. I feel good about it.

Personally and selfishly, the only real hardship has been the "audiobook" sections of the CDL manual, largely because I'm chomping at the bit...like a racehorse or a greyhound, or maybe I should say a happy dog who's spotted his favorite stick on a sand bar "out there"...but, word of advice while going through the "theory" section of training if you haven't already secured your permit...eat light...and stand up frequently during these dissertations which will help you avoid the embarrassment a couple folks in my class experienced after nodding off and thundering deep gasping breathquakes. You know, the head bobbing, the snatching snore that jerks you out of your seat...no one wants to be that person. I'm too old to let that be me. At 47 we only have one box, Positive Example. I hope I can be that.

I'll report back with any worthy news.

SHOJim, Güera and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Seems like a winner! Time to start the job applications. It's not too early; you'll receive job offers that are contingent upon successfully completing school and having any required endorsements.

Güera and NordicNomadic Thank this.
  4. NordicNomadic

Nov 16, 2017
    Cumming, GA
    I started those a month ago and submitted a blanket app via a couple of truckers sites this weekend and today during class my phone blew up...it was both exciting and annoying.

Güera and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Those blanket apps can be a pain; you'll be receiving calls for years.
    Danny Herman Trucking runs coast to coast and "NO northeast."
    Freymiller www.drive4freymiller.com - click on "Restore Program" for new cdl grads. You probably already applied there.

Güera and NordicNomadic Thank this.
  6. NordicNomadic

Nov 16, 2017
    Cumming, GA
    Yes, I think I'd like to get my tanker endorsement but not necessarily hazmat...I am most interested in flatbed OTR though.

Güera Thanks this.
  7. NordicNomadic

Nov 16, 2017
    Cumming, GA
    "For years"...well, at least I know I'll have "someone" to talk with while on the road for the next few years...o_O

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Melton Truck Lines runs 48 states. They're a true OTR flatbed company.
    Senn Freight Lines is also true OTR flatbed, but their equipment isn't as nice as Melton.
    Both companies hire new cdl grads.

Güera Thanks this.
  9. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I talked to Melton the other day. I start school next week. They offered me 41 cpm, $40 per tarp, $50 layover and asked what health ins runs for family told $350/mo.
    Week in Tulsa to train then 3 weeks OTR with trainer.

NordicNomadic Thanks this.
  10. NordicNomadic

Nov 16, 2017
    Cumming, GA
    Ok, I decided to not report on the school while attending in case they monitored this site and I found discrepancies that could be construed the wrong way. Fortunately, for all of us, I can say that aside from a few areas where they can improve (and who doesn't) GDA is a great school to obtain your CDL.

My instructors were spectacular, the front office administrators stellar professionals and the facilities management personnel always brought a smile to my face. I felt that every employee there understood the mission and brought their hearts into each day. I can usually poke holes in just about any experience or situation but honestly it was easy to focus on the tasks at hand because I didn't have the concerns or worries that can impede learning.

Now, yes, there were a few instances where concerns did arise. This is natural in a learning environment but there was always an honest answer or solution at the other end of it. That's hard to find...anywhere.

I wish I could name these folks but I do not have their blessing to do so, so I will simply say that if you live in Georgia and looking for a quality CDL school I stand behind them and give a solid recommendation.

The entire process was quite efficient. The initial application, the 3 week schooling, the timing of my DDS exam on the most immediate day after completing my 180 hours, to the presentation that very afternoon with my Honor Graduate documentation and final paperwork, it all went almost flawlessly. If you fail or falter, it's really on you. These folks are true professionals and extremely knowledgeable.

If you are watching, Well done GDA! I am a proud graduate.

11. NordicNomadic

Nov 16, 2017
    Cumming, GA
    Oh, and I start Melton this Sunday February 25. I am excited to learn how to be a flat-bedder! My instructor told us in school there are 2 kinds of truckers...flatbedders and wanna-be-truckers...I chose flatbed. :cool:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.