Geotab tidbit:

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Russian Rabbit, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Here's a little tip for anyone running Geotab that you may, or may not, know about:

If you are on "OFF" (off-duty), you can actually move the truck, creeping along in low gear, for at least 500 ft. and it won't switch to "D" (drive) or "ON" (on-duty)

i was at a rest area the other day and tried to park the best i could against the curb, but it was very crowded and admittedly, i was not as close to the curb as i could have been. This situation very probably made it a little difficult for other trucks to enter the rest area.

i could sense that some drivers were, at the very least, extremely perturbed at this: (i could see flailing arms among other gestures).

i was already 8 mins into my required 30 min break, so i contemplated whether to move---and thus have to start the break all over again, or to try to push it for 22 more mins.

i decided it wasn't worth saving 8 mins to risk the continued ire of other drivers, so i decided to move to a better spot.........ever so gently. i put it in low and just crept along, not touching the accelerator and even using the brakes and clutch to go even slower than idle. And it stayed in "OFF" (off duty).

Just a little tidbit.

Just passing by and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Geotab sucks. I used to be able to edit mine to show less or more time on duty at my discretion. This ultimately lead to increasing my hourly pay or decreasing said hourly pay. The idiots running that joint didn't exactly know what was happening.

4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Here's another little tidbit on Geotab. I was getting an inspection in Oregon several months ago and I handed the officer my tablet with Geotab. He hooked it up to his system and it showed my engine and movement stats while I was on breaks. He looked carefully at my all of my breaks to see the engine RPM, and it actually shows movement of more than a few yards while on breaks, something we can't see as users.

5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Geotab does suck.......most modern elds will let you creep at 5 mph. Did you get wrote up for those movements?

6. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    No, I didn't have any movements. He just showed me that he could see them if I did happen to do it.

7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    What kind of other gestures did you receive besides flailing arms? Ha ha

8. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    We use geotab. I used it as a driver and i now use it as a dispatcher. All of the settings are flexible to the company's desire. If one was so inclined they could allow pc during breaks. There is no law against moving a truck during a break. Just not working.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.