Get Home Bag?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by cooley525, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This topic is getting all over the place. Let's face it if you live in Alabama and are up in Michigan and civilization as we know it ends, well that's the end! You have no home to go back to! Because you can't take an underground bunker with you you are going to be forced to do what every other survivor will do! SURVIVE! The thing is the OP was not speaking about events like "dawn of the dead"! They are talking about the rioting and other civil disorderly conduct that's been going on now for a while. If you get caught up in a riot situation much like what happened to Reginald Denny I honestly don't know even if having a firearm will help you! I no longer drive, if I were in a situation that looked dangerous there is NOTHING in my truck or my load that is more important than my life! I will stop, and abandon that rig and get to safety if I can. Honestly, to use the Twin Cities/Portland rioting for example. If I know there is an elevated danger I am going to protect my truck, my load, and MOST CERTAINLY my rear end and stay OUT! To this end, I don't really think you can plan for this as to be able to evacuate at a moment's notice. Like I said before, I kept my briefcase, my laptop, and my shaving kit generally close together. My shaving kit held a change of underwear and my meds.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Just make your way to Texas. Look for the guy in the semi truck. I also have access to 12 valves and 6.2's that don't care about EMP's.

T.Rucker Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Neighbor has his bug out vehicle, a beaten up humvee he got for $2k, he put a mechanical pump and turbo on a 6.5 he got for almost nothing, behind it is an older Allison trans and older transfer case. He installed a hardened electrical system out of a ccvc that supposedly will work under all adverse conditions. Everything is manual, from the engine start system to the injection pump shut down lever.

It still looks like a pos, it runs great through and I have no doubt he will survive.

5. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    Has no one here studied to be a ham radio operator? Thats the only form of communication other than smoke signals that would work once the cell phones, internet, electricity, etc all go out. Using Morse code, very few would know whats being said.

That would include after a hurricane, the Yellowstone supervolcano erupting, nuclear bomb, riots, Martians attacking, or whatever you can dream up. Judging by some of the prior posts, thats plenty.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  6. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    This is why I carry a whistle.

JoeyJunk, Redtwin and spindrift Thank this.
  7. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    What I was thinking is a POS will be POS from the get-go but not the generally good pepole. Many people in urban areas don't have more than a few days of non-perishable food. No one would know for sure when help would come they'd only know they and their kids are without food. Scary.

8. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    6.2?? Good for you. A true Classic in every sense of the word.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  9. flightwatch

flightwatch Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    I've tossed around the idea of getting my license, but I don't want to learn all the electrical crap. I can operate them just fine other than that.

Ham ( or any other type of atmospheric comms) won't work very well after a nuclear attack. The atmosphere will be all kinds of screwed up for a while. And with a lot of the repeaters being wifi-based now, I'm hoping that the ham world hasn't screwed themselves in a mass electrical grid failure event.

10. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I prefer Semaphore flags. Quieter than a whistle.

JoeyJunk and Hazmat Cat Thank this.
  11. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    All this survival talk. Is it just me that wouldn't want to live in a world without Popeyes chicken sandwiches and unlimited internet data?.

As soon as I see the mushroom cloud, I'm checking out.

JoeyJunk and Hazmat Cat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.