Get ready for e-lect-ronic logs!

Discussion in 'Knight' started by Sad_Panda, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

She works in the log department. She has never been in a truck on the road.

Now, you have made money running legal like she said.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    but the real classic is running out of hours 20 miles from the truck stop and having your truck towed....:biggrin_25523: Hello, dispatch... I need a comcheck for 300 bucks...:biggrin_2559:

4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    That would be the drivers fault for failure to properly plan.:biggrin_2553:

5. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Do you really understand how to split break & utilize your time? Are you going over board with running legal. Meaning: Some drivers will take to the extreme & log everything & every minute on line 4, without knowing , wait if I don't have to be here I can go to the sleeper.
    Wait I got stuck here 5 hours well Im only going to take 8 when Ithink I have to take 10... Do you know you can show driving more than 11 hours in a log day (24 hr period)?... Do you know you can work past your 14th hour, you just can't drive past your 14th hour? It help to know all the regulations & how to use them & when to use them...

If you do then sorry & I understand you have to do what you have to do... Its sad though, it's all in the dispatcher getting you a load while your on a 10... I have many drivers running legal & doing just fine & I have many drivers running illegal so I understand.
    All drivers just need to understand their consecquences and I hope they don't happen to none of you, however I hear the stories just like you do on the news (maybe you??)....

I don't need to be a driver to understand AT ALL. Been doing way to long to not know/understand why/when you would, but doing it legally is in your best interest if you want to see your family without bars seperating you or losing $1,000.00 because you got busted by dot or your company gets shut down & your jobless for a few months....
    that's all I am saying... I don't care what each of you chose to do, I will always be here regardless for all of you....:biggrin_25514:

6. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Again real world trucking... he has been a driver for 15 years.. I am pretty sure he knows how to maximize his time.....:biggrin_2559:

Roadmedic Thanks this.
  7. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY

8. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Logging legal vs logging SAFE. I've had a long talk with a dispatcher once who couldn't understand that there is a difference.

Way I figure it, I log it like I drive it, and you know what, if I am not going to get paid detention time for sitting, I'm going to log it as on duty not driving.

Because if I'm outta hours, and this truck can not roll, the company isn't making any money as well.

9. 3.14

3.14 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Arizona
    logging legal is pointless at this company. you will find yourself sitting a whole lot, losing out on many loads, and you will NOT make any worthwhile money. you will not be able to afford to take off more than 2 days after having been out longer than a month. going illegal, i can actually afford to take off a week. if knight actually paid their drivers well and didn't treat them like we're a bunch of 5 year olds who cannot keep our hands out the cookie jar, things might actually be better. i hate going to the terminals and having multiple cameras on me at all times...until i enter the restroom.

swift paid me rather well. i was on the walmart dedicated fleet out of casa grande, az hauling the frozen & dairy goods. i logged legally and had many weeks where i took home almost $1200 after taxes. they didn't mess around when it came/comes to logging legally. when they caught some funky logging, the driver will get pulled into a terminal somewhere to have a chat with the safety director.

on that account, i ran to the limit, and i was having lots of FUN doing it, because i was truly being compensated for everything. ALL of the people working inside of the dispatch office at the distribution center were drivers before, so it was comforting to actually speak with office people who actually have a clue about road stuff, and other crap that happens.

i actually switched over to the 7on/7 off so i could start reliving a life, and to phase myself out of the OTR trucking world once and for all. electronic logs and eobr's will be the death of the transportation industry. only the fools will stay with it all while having the delusional belief that they're making "great" money. if only the LTL carriers were hiring in tucson or phoenix, i'd hit them up in a heartbeat. the same goes for safeway. they're quite spiffy to work for.

dave, i wish you luck in that local gig!

10. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    btw, you are right on the money about running legal # Knight! I am losing my a z z! I dont make enough during the week. It's so bad that I can barely afford to be out of the truck more than 2 days a month! But what better way to keep your drivers down than to keep them hungry so they cant afford to get out of their truck to find a better job! And who can afford to just quit their current job without having another one lined up in this crappy economy. I think the Knight family couldnt have planned this any better if they tried! Am I bitter? Your #### right I am!

11. 3.14

3.14 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Arizona
    a bitter driver is one who sees that this industry is in the gutter. it's not getting any better. a happy-go-lucky driver is one who is blind to the realities. they're living in a fantasy land where dogs and cats frolic about in the forest, singing campfire songs in total harmony.

i'm starting to see ads for companies with starting wages at .26cpm. a few years ago when i was in the cdl mill, it was quite common to see ads for companies at .42cpm.

as for kevin coming up with the 2 days off thing, i had the belief from the get go that it's due to him wanting to starve out drivers, forcing them to stay over the road, unable to find other employment opportunities. i once wanted to speak with him. ren knight stood in my way, trying to come up with excuses as to why i couldn't speak with kevin in person. the rest of the people in the office stopped what they were doing and just watched ren and i exchange "kind" words of encouragement.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.