GET RICH!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by FREEBRD, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Hmmm...I guess no one can answer that....

Perhaps we should go back to the way things were prior to deregulation....With additional restrictions....

No NAFTA trucks for one........

walleye and misterG Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Billy_Big_Rigger

Billy_Big_Rigger Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I don’t care what you haul for, that’s your business. Maybe you shouldn’t speak for everybody else. I’m not finding it difficult to constantly get 2.20-3.00 per mile running the Midwest.

4. Billy_Big_Rigger

Billy_Big_Rigger Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NW Indiana
    What are you looking for anyway? Someone to give you customer names, phone numbers, rate contracts? Go make your own sales calls. Gee how come the easiest place to find freight is so cheap? Oh I don't know maybe because any moron can operate the internet.

5. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Because the majority of O/O's aren't getting the (now) $2.20+ (was $2.50) loads....
    I don't need specifics...but when someone who runs the same as anyone else makes claims contrary to what is actually happening...The Bull sheyat detector goes off....

6. musicmaker

musicmaker Medium Load Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Fort Madison, IA
    depends on what your actually hauling. Dry Van freight pays the lowest, then reefer then flatbed, specialized, etc. Easier to get that rate average when your pulling the higher paying loads to start with

7. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    I'm not trying to come off as a know it all, and if i am, i am truely sorry. i have a large understanding of trucks, and trucking. but there are some fine/major details that i am going to need help with. Which is one reason i've been on this board for as long as i have. the mechanics of the truck i have no problem with, i can turn a wrench and i've changed more then my share of tires on the side of the road (wasn't scary then but now i think about and the way people drive, sends chills up my back). But so much for the other stuff, if it takes freebird setting fire to my arse in order for me to open my eyes and see the errors of my ways then i'm ready for it. Something was just brought to my attention and i'm in englewoodcowboy's debt for it. it may not have seemed like much but it could have been a major setback for me.

I actually have 1600 a month pushed to the side for health Ins and a "Oops Fund". I'm looking at Insurance to be no more then 600 for me and my wife so that'll leave 1000 for the truck every month.

I wont lie to ya, i only plan on replacing tires when they blow, get too worn, or get gashes in the side wall, a nail, bolt, or screw in the tread will be a ten min plug on the side or the road or where ever i discover the fault.

I wanted to install an oil by pass system, cause when my dad hauled citrus they only did three oil changes during the season, and it was only because when the samples would come back from the lab they'd say the oil was loaded with dirt. Now he's hauling scrap metal and spends more time on hard ball then dirt and he said he went six months before the company told him his truck needed and oil change, i know those are really good investments and a $30 oil test is way better then an unnecessary $300 oil change any day.

Yeah, i'm not doing van nor reefer. I'm sorry, it's just the things you guys go through is unheard of where i come from. Most consider citrus haulers to be field drivers cause they never cross scales, bump docks, and rack as many miles on hard ball as they do gravel, clay, and the all too often goat trail. but i've never been to a juice plan, or packing house where someone told me i had to pay to get unloaded. Most juice citrus loads are drop and hook, unless you come out of a med fly zone, but even the packing house loads the forklifts just come take down your bins and put new ones on and that's the end. I'm actually gonna lease on to a citrus hauler and run juice fruit while it's in season. that'll keep me from snow in ice during the winter since i'll never leave Fl, and once the season dies in the summer i'll grab my flatbed and run the southeast.

This is what i was missing, i really couldn't figure out how to do the tax thing, i got the IFTA down, that was pretty simple, (buy high tax fuel in one state, burn it all in a low tax state, or try to) but i couldn't figure out the IRS part, i was planning on getting ahold of HR Block or someone and just having a sit down with them.. all that i remember about tax's is that my dad use to write off a lot of stuff basicially everything that had to do with me and my sister going to school (paper, pens, notebooks) and when ever we went out to dinner he'd write that off to.. i'm guess money that applies to my home gets taxed, which would be the 0.45 i listed, but everything that has to do with the truck can get wrote off which would be everything else. I will research this. Got a few months left and nothing else to really do over here. people aren't having as many accidents as usually.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

8. FREEBRD

FREEBRD Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Lafollette tn
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by englewoodcowboy [​IMG]
    I do not buy the cheap tires bcause the extra down time is costing me money due to shorter service life so, have you accounted for tire repairs?

I wont lie to ya, i only plan on replacing tires when they blow, get too worn, or get gashes in the side wall, a nail, bolt, or screw in the tread will be a ten min plug on the side or the road or where ever i discover the fault.

IN OTHER WORDS YOULL REPLACE THEM WHEN DOT TELLS YOU TOO!
    SEE HOW THAT WORKS! OOS- OUT OF SERVICE BEHIND SOME SCALE.

9. mitchtazz

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    i'm looking but i've yet to find in the Regs where it says you'll be put out of service for having a plug in your tire. i know it can happen for low tread, recaps on front, and gashes in side wall, or wire showing, you can even get hit if you're missing chunks out of your tread (not one or two, but six inch sections) but i've yet to find where you'll have to park your truck if you have a plug in your tire. Maybe multiple plugs in a tire, but i'm not finding anything on just one plug. can ya give me a little help?

10. Bigray

Bigray Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Mitch, also if you plan to incorporate here in Fl. / they are taxes that the state charges.

have you run your #'s on the cost of operation worksheet?

also Fl. has a high insurance rate compared to other states. 9k+ on a quote i recv.

11. mitchtazz

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    right now i'm still on the fence for DBA or LLC. LLC cost a little money but will protect my assets in some instances (supposedly not all). DBA is free (except for ad in paper) and as long as i keep my social, bank accounts and a few other things separate from my company i'll have a little security. so much for the insurance, yeah it's gonna come get me something feriece. My dad said if i needed to i could put him as a policy holder and i just be a driver, and that'll help out alot. I tried to do the operation worksheet and i've had to change more on the work sheet so that everything made sense.. the work sheets asks for stuff like IRP, IFTA, 2290 ect.. i dont put those into my numbers.. All of that is fixed (minus IFTA) and my plan was to have something like an escrow account every year for stuff like that. It has driver wage on it and i didn't include a driver wage in my numbers.. i figured if i'm paying all of my bills then there's no need for a driver's wage. But EnglewoodCowboy pointed out to me that 0.45 would be my drivers wage since it's not going towards the truck. when i get home my dad said he'll take a look at everything and make sure i'm not setting myself up for failure. i'm just trying to gather as much information as possible right now. Thanks to cowboy i found all the info about the taxes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.