Getting a CDL with Sleep Apnea

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by NVDriver, Sep 23, 2017.

1. NVDriver

NVDriver Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Hi. I'm about to enter a driving school in the next two weeks. I have sleep apnea and I wear a CPAP every night so no problems. I have my DOT medical certificate on which I indicated I had sleep apnea on am on successful CPAP Therapy. The doctor asked me if I had any daytime sleepiness and I told him no, which I don't. He certified me and gave me my papers. The company I'm hiring with say they do not require drivers to get a sleep test.

I was talking to someone about this and they told me that because I indicated I have sleep apnea, the state CDL license office is going to want a sleep study to prove that my therapy works. He said that if I have a data card in my CPAP machine they could get a report printed on my sleep history and show that I'm complying. Unfortunately my CPAP machine doesn't have the data card in it although it does have a place for one. I've ordered one and it should be here soon. But I'll have no historical proof that I've been on CPAP for 7 years with no issues.

The problem is I can't afford a sleep study. Does anyone know if the CDL license office will require that or is my DOT doctors certification enough?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    FMCSA does not require "sleep studies" as part of the DOT physical.
    However, a company may add that to their requirements for employment, if you have indicated it on your application. A DOT certified Medical person may question whether you might have the condition based on Weight and Neck Size, but it i not at this time a part of the DOT physical.

4. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    DOT certification is all you need. Some doctors may want proof that your apnea is being properly treated. That is where the compliance crap come in.

If you sign up with certain companies they may want you to get a new medical card through their own doctor. Some of those may want this. But a company willing to accept your current card or a dr willing to accept that your apnea is being properly treated without proof of compliance will not give you issues.

5. rcelmo

rcelmo Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2015
    My doctor only asked for record of the last thirty days
    of my CPAP use before renewing my medical card. You
    may have to get your data card and than monitor for
    thirty days..........not to sure how this will work for you.

Since you already told them you have sleep apnea and are
    on a CPAP machine you should not have to retest......only
    show proof that you are on the machine.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    As stated above, the state DMV and FMCSA has nothing to do with it. You already have a DOT Medical Card, so you're in good shape there. Your first trucking company probably won't care since you have a current card, but some require a new physical which they pay for.
    Several companies don't require a new physical because they accept the one you got for cdl school.
    Here's a few that don't require another physical:
    Freymiller
    Navajo Express
    Magnum Ltd.
    J&R Schugel
    Probably dozens more that I'm not aware of.
    Are you in Nevada? What type trucking do you prefer?

7. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Never heard of a state needing proof of CPAP usage. Unless something has changed it's all up to the D.O.T physical doctor. If the doctor signs your medical card your good to go. Put a SD card in you CPAP so you will have proof if needed in the future. My CPAP machine I new and has built in cellphone data reporting plus the SD card. So o got both, I can call and ask for a sleep report if needed or let doctor read the SD card.

I don't believe any state would ask for proof before giving g you a CDL because they are not medical doctors or even a sleep doctor. They would not know even how to read a sleep report that what the doctors do. They look at the data and sign a driver as good to go.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.