getting a semi home

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by jeffl0123, Jul 3, 2019.

1. jeffl0123

jeffl0123 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2018
    So I am interested in purchasing this toter truck for moving mobile homes that is located in Claysburg PA and need to get it to Atco, NJ. About 240 miles. Now a problem I have is I already have an older one and I am leased on with a company. They wont help me out unless I lease on with the truck I want to get. But I dont want to do that cause it needs couple injectors replaced and a few other minor things. So I dont want to lease that one on cause then I cant run any loads until I get it fixed cause it would knock my truck I have leased on now off the insurance.
    So I am wondering how I could get it home on my own. I mean I am sure I would have to get somekind of insurance to get it home plus somekind of temp tag. Is it worth it to do it that way or does anyone have any other suggestions.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Dmv has a temp 30 day moving tag it’s like 60$ and you’ll need insurance you can add it to your other truck policy
    Or you can switch it from one truck to the other but it’s gonna cost you some money
    If you transfer it for a day or two get the truck home and before you pay tell your insurance company switch it back you don’t need it anymore you won’t have to pay the fee.
    That’s what I just did.
    And your ifta Just grab your ifta from your current truck and tape it to the windshield next to the temp tag

4. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Now here’s the options from my devil shoulder since you’re only driving a few miles

Get a temp tag if you want and just run it

Or don’t get anything and just run at night.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  5. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Talk to your insurance company, 'splain what you're doing, see if they might have an option for insurance to do this.

TROOPER to TRUCKER Thanks this.
  6. jeffl0123

Jan 18, 2018
    getting the insurance switched over is unfortunately not an option. Because I am leased with the company that registers and insures my truck, they wont do it unless I lease on with the truck I want to purchase. But dont want that until I do the needed repairs.
    The driving at night time sounds like it maybe a good option. Unless I could get some kind of temp insurance on my own, I dont think I could do it on my own. I sure they would probably get me good on the insurance.

7. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    What’s a toter truck?

8. jeffl0123

Jan 18, 2018
    Its used to haul oversize manufactured and modular homes. Normally has a hydraulic hitch on the back and electric or hydraulic extendable mirrors.
    IMG_0548.JPG

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Suspect Zero and Lonesome Thank this.
  9. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Call ooida and ask about a Hunter permit also short term insurance

baha Thanks this.
  10. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Don’t over think this. Unless you’re financing the truck you don’t need anything besides some common sense and drive careful because you don’t have ins. so you don’t hit anyone. Otherwise you’re fine.

And in the future look into gettting your own policy. Liability, cargo, physical, so you don’t have to rely on others.

You’re going a short distance so I wouldn’t worry about. If it was cross country I would encourage you to get temp tag and ins

11. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    ...except when someone hits you....

S M D Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.