Getting axles to scale

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by W Bench Farms, Aug 16, 2022.

1. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Zoom in on second picture. There is an air line going to that fifth wheel, so it is adjustable.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I've split weighed my spread before for fun, and there always only been a couple hundred pounds difference between axles. Do you have a dump valve that dumps the front axle? Is is possible you had recently used it to maneuver to the scale, deactivated it, and then didn't wait long enough for the bags to air all the way back up? It takes over a minute to re-equalize. I've sat and watched it on a scale before, and it's pretty cool.

Also, can you get a headache rack? Then you can get rid of the bulkhead and tool box, and be able to move your fifth wheel farther forward whenever you want. That won't help your axle problem, but it will take some of the weight off the entire spread. Plus you can overhang the front.

D.Tibbitt, CAXPT, cke and 2 others Thank this.
  4. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Something is seriously wrong with your spread axle trailer. Your axles should split out within a few hundred pounds. Here’s the last split weigh I could find with the two axles circled. (Ignore the over weight issue, dog treats are freaking heavy) 3C6A95F4-F88A-44EA-8DCE-B66D33BD0CF0.jpeg

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Winner.

I would like to see the axle weights on an empty trailer for that very reason.

6. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    Agree with Six and you. The one thing I always did was weigh empty with low tanks, fill up and weigh with full tanks, just to make sure I knew what the range and my fuel level limits were. The one thing I see with the picture different than the way I ran was that I'd have that fulcrum point of the 5th wheel, dead center as close as possible between both axles to distribute to both axles appropriately, but also when you have full fuel tanks, the load on the trailer tends to help move the weight from the steers to the drives. :)

7. W Bench Farms

W Bench Farms Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Here's another load I had this week. 6-w27x84 beams 45' long on the bottom. Slide those as far forward as I could. 8-w12x53 50' on top. 73880 gross. 10560 front axle, 28820 drives, 15340 front trailer, 19160 rear trailer. Close to the same weights as the last one. Haven't had a chance to get any empty axle weights.

Checked out under the trailer and can't see anything out of the ordinary. Hoping to work on getting my fifth wheel slid forward a couple notches this weekend. Have to find a place for all of the junk on the toolbox. I would like to take the bulkhead off the trailer, but it's a solid weld on so that's going to take an operation.

Attached Files:

CAXPT, D.Tibbitt, cke and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Something is wrong with your trailer suspension. The axles should not be 4K off consistently.

Sliding your fifth wheel will not change anything with the trailer axles.

CAXPT, TripleSix, Speedy356 and 9 others Thank this.
  9. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I actually weighed mine when i loaded Monday. 48k of lumber loaded square on the trailer. 16.5k on the front, 16.7k on the back.

Empty I think my back axle was 2k lbs heavier than front.

CAXPT, Oxbow and cke Thank this.
  10. W Bench Farms

Oct 16, 2017

Trailer is a 2006 East BST all aluminum. No lift axles. Leveling valve is on the rear axle. Intraxx suspension. Any thoughts as to what could be the issue? Having front spring pins and bushings put in my truck this week and hopefully doing a full truck and trailer alignment soon. Maybe we'll find something there.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  11. W Bench Farms

Oct 16, 2017
    Just had a thought on these axle weights. The mill I've been loading out of has a ramp going up to the scale. Since the leveling valve is on the back axle can this be throwing the trailer weights off as I'm rolling up onto the scale? Airing up the back axle and taking weight off the front?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.