Getting Better Fuel Mileage

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by maxeffort, Apr 23, 2008.

1. BIG KITTY

BIG KITTY Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Burlington,Vt.
    MaxEffort is there a number to reach you at?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. e500gvr

e500gvr Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Bloomington,MN
    Well stated information, accurate info Maxeffort. Sounds to me like you've been to the old Bernie Dempsey spec'ing classes if you know what I mean. I'm thinking you and I attended the same classes years ago in a certain midwest river town, right?

4. 550hpW900L

550hpW900L Road Train Member

Jan 29, 2008
    norcal
    Black smoke means money out the pipe? Well ive never, guess im gonna turn my down to 410hp. I bet ill be getting 3mpg then, i was getting 3.5mpg with it set to 525hp..... Bridge CAT. Now i got 5.7mpg average on my last west coast trip, with sky high exhaust temps do to small turbo and not enough air. With the big turbo i expect to average 6mpg running west. This is with a W900 KW with 6 feet of space between sleeper and trailer. See signature.

Oh and running 70+mph.

5. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck "Captain of the Ship"

Apr 7, 2007
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    I've driven aero trucks that only got around 5.8 mpg, and I've driven big square nosed trucks that got 7.2 mpg. Most recently I was driving a DD15 Cascadia that only got around 6.8. I was disappointed in that. I was driving a 379 Pete/475 C-15 last year that got 7 on the nose. I HAVE driven a Western Star 4900EX with 515 Detroit that got 7.2. Seems to me it's more about spec'ing the truck for the job and not driving like a moron. Progressive shifting helps. Oddly enough, the trucks with more power tended to get better mileage... probably because they aren't working as hard, keeping more power in reserve.

In my opinion, if you take a truck that was spec'd to run 70 mph and cut back to 60 to try and save fuel, you probably won't see any difference at all, since you took that truck out of its sweet spot.

Markvfl, kent0242 and Stroked F550 Thank this.
  6. mannmk7

mannmk7 Medium Load Member

May 1, 2008
    AZ
  7. NealinNevada

NealinNevada Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2007
    One Horse Town, Nevada
    Just wanted to thank Maxeffort for the fine job! A comment concerning cruise control...there is research going on that is trying to have an input to cruise from a gps unit. In this manner, the cruise system would receive information concerning terrain and make adjustments based on anticipated downhills and uphills...something to watch.

I have a white paper from Cummins on fuel mileage increases "The Secrets of Better Fuel Economy

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2008
    SPIKE 64 Thanks this.
  8. maxeffort

maxeffort Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2008
    central, MA
    The most aerodynamic truck is a cabover...you wouldn't figure that but it is. The big flat front forms it's own bubble in front of the truck.

Spec'ing for the job is important. A lot of little details can make a difference.

60-70mph?
    You would save about 1 mpg maybe more. You cannot get by the aerodynamic horsepower demand.

Aerodynamic horsepower demand increases by the cube of speed. Think of that as an ever increasing grade that as you travel a little further it goes up much steeper

9. maxeffort

maxeffort Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2008
    central, MA
    Yeh, I like hopped up trucks too, but it's your money at $4.50 a gallon.

10. maxeffort

maxeffort Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2008
    central, MA
    Thanks

I don't know about Bernie Dempsey, but I'm sure he did a good job. the facts and the math are pretty much the same if explained properly.

11. maxeffort

maxeffort Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2008
    central, MA
    Thanks.

I would like to read Cummins take on the subject.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.