Getting Hired with Saia

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Usmc1991, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Usmc1991

Usmc1991 Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Howdy all. I have been driving for almost a year and a half now and have recently applied with Saia, who are advertising for a p&d position where I live. I hav been with a mega carrier, where I started, the whole time, most of it on a dedicated account delivering food to a national grocery store chain. We run out of our DC in Texas and go to Denver about 90% of the time. We usually make 4 to 6 stops and head back to the DC empty. It does involve quite a bit of local driving between the stops and backing into a lot of right docks designed for 48ft trailers and daycabs so I feel I have a pretty good handle on my backing skills. Before I got my Cdl I delivered for FedEx ground for a year.

As far as my MVR goes, I haven't gotten a speeding ticket since I was 18, I'm 25 now. I did have an accident while with FedEx though. Roughly 2 and a half years ago. Oddly enough, me and the driver that ran into me were both ticketed. Mine was for "Failure to control speed", but the accident was ruled non-preventable by FedEx. Prior to that I had an accident about 5 and a half years ago in a parking lot and was issued a ticket for Careless Driving.

My question is what do you all think my chances are of being hired on with Saia? And do you think my pickup and delivery experience in a step-van with FedEx, and the local driving my current job entails would be a plus as far as getting hired with Saia? Thanks in advance and I apologize for being so long winded.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    Fill out an app....call their recruiter.

4. Usmc1991

Usmc1991 Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2017
    I actually tried to call them but it redirected me to the national hotline and they told there is no recruiter for my area. I would like to call the local terminal itself and talk to the TM but can't find a number that dials directly to the terminal.

DustyRoad Thanks this.
  5. DustyRoad

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    Someone from Human Resources department is most likely the first place to start...after you fill out an online application for driver.

6. Usmc1991

Usmc1991 Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2017
    I have filled out the app online and when I called and got the hotline they recommend I email HR. I did that but got a reply stating that they were unable to follow up on individual applications. I have thought about just going up to the terminal and asking to speak to the terminal manager but am worried that that would be more of a nuisance than help. Any thoughts?

7. DustyRoad

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    At least go there and find out more by asking someone who works their how did they get hired. I have done this and wound up getting a job because I made the effort.

8. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I've tried calling HR and it just ends up redirecting me to some voice recording that loops me back over to the directory. Apart from hitting up the local terminals in the cities I've applied to like Austin and Albuquerque, I've been trying to spot and hit up one of their trucks when they're parked at the Love's or some other place around town.
    Clovis NM has plenty of the high-profile, daycab operations delivering all over the place in the city. But a good chunk of all of them aren't even based out of anywhere near here.
    I've already put in apps with a few places out of town, so looks like my next move will be an actual.....move.

9. rambler

rambler Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Talking directly to a terminal manager would be my choice. It's what I done when I hired on with them in my area several years ago. I stayed there a couple of years and liked it pretty good. I probably would have retired there but a job with a private carrier I had been wanting for a long time came available and I took it. LTL is a different animal and you're in for a learning experience if you haven't done it before. Good luck.

10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    How about you go to the local terminal and talk to them?You have enough exp if saia excuses that failure to control ticket you're fine.But you won't know unless you go talk to them.

11. brtecson

brtecson Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2006
    saia driver here...

Having a single accident 2.5 yrs ago shouldnt be a huge problem.. they cant be too picky with the driver shortage nowadays.. if you get an interview, it would be helpful if you brought in a copy of the fedex paperwork that said your accident was non-preventable.

To get a hold of the terminal, i would call the main line (800.950.7242) and press 0 to get a csr on the line.. ask them for the 4 digit extension for the terminal youre looking to get hired at. that way you can call the terminal directly. yeah, its a runaround but theyre trying to funnel shippers/recievers into their automated PU/Delivery system...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.