Getting into hauling heavy stuff, need experienced advice

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by ichudov, Dec 2, 2017.

1. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    TripleSix, thanks, I will read all that right now.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You went up a couple notches saying exactly what experience you have what there is of it.

In the seaports we had permits to 99K in two states. Routinely we hauled way more than that with some loads so heavy state scales were broken in my case at least once. And one particular stone bridge that was well marked was damaged on US 15 north of Manassas.

Trucks when loaded heavy are going to behave in ways you might not like. You don't want to over load a truck so much that physics will simply go ahead and kill people. It will take a little bit over for you under a permit. But anymore than that you need axles or specialized trailers for heavy haul.

ichudov Thanks this.
  4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You can trust @TripleSix. He’ll steer on the right path.

TripleSix, ichudov and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    OK, guys, thanks a lot. I read that OPER993 and other things, I appreciate that.

If I know I am overweight, but not exactly how much, I could get a OW permit for 100,000, and as long as I am under, say it turns out 86,000, I would be okay, right? They would not say something like "your weight is incorrect and your permit is not valid"?

I know that when we drove 300 miles on a OS permit (no overweight), we went through a bunch of scales, and were not even stopped once.

7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    That's generally how it's done. Thing is, those overweight permits can be crazy expensive, so you want to order one that you know will cover you instead of the biggest one available for your setup.

ichudov, Landincoldfire and Oxbow Thank this.
  8. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Permits can be expensive, but fines are bigger. Figure out what you can haul and stay a few thousand under until you figure every thing out.

9. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    The picture of the stamping press you posted is probably at least 60,000 lbs or more, and oversize also. It will have to be laid over if hauled whole. You're going to need at least a tri-axle lowboy to haul that thing.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.