Getting Loads While Using own Authority

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BigGreg, Jun 3, 2009.

1. LDH26

LDH26 Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Who?? You guys have totally lost me. LOL!:biggrin_2552:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    LOL.. no I was addressing the ray of sunshine there.

4. trucking13

trucking13 Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2008
    ft myers, fl
    ok guys i usually just read(my fav pasttime) but since noone has answer this drivers questions, i'll take a stab at it. first let me say i've been doing this just short of 30 years, been an o/o for 25 and running my own auth for 23, now that being said let's get down to biz.
    as far as billing, get a free template on your comp, change the info on it to reflect your co info and do the billing for each load yourself. try to work with co's that offer quick pay till you get on your feet and can afford to wait 45 days to get paid. it will cost you between 2-3% to get paid in about 24-72 hoours that way.so 2 or 3 dollars on 1000.
    as far as load boards follow what was said above and use as many as you can afford, plus as many free ones as you can find. the paid services cost about 35 a month. never pull for any broker unless you check their paying history, or you have talked to other o/o's(several) about them. dont be scared to ask any for bank and industry referances.do not pull for any that dont offer an advance on the load, better to get some money upfront then to have to wait for it all.
    well i hope this helps some, now i go back underground:biggrin_25518:

5. DoubleDear

DoubleDear Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Harrisburg PA
    BigGreg, Please tell me the reason Why you want to obtain your own Authority .

6. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    There are good reasons to get your own authority other than getting your own contracts.

For me it was getting around lease-on requirements such as experience. I coudn't run without it.

and 2nd, even on broker loads the percentages are higher to the truck. Often it seems to be a wash, but you can still do better than leasing on.

Last, you still have the option and ability to accrue your own contracts and stay running all the time while you do. There's no easy or realistic way to have all the contracts you need from day one unless you fell into something first that prompted you to get the authority in the first place.

7. DoubleDear

Jan 28, 2009
    Harrisburg PA
    Pharmphail., I was asking BigGreg why he wanted his own Authority..

Sounded like through his post, that his life would be a lot easier, since he mentioned about working when he wanted. Not realizing there is more work involved with having an Authority..

PharmPhail Thanks this.
  8. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    Oh definitely. Have to work your ### off.

9. BigGreg

BigGreg Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Fairborn,Ohio
    I wanted my own authority,because I know my needs and abilities and would be able to work better,as my own boss.Not just a number for some bonus infatuated dispatcher.It would be far more profitable,as well.And I wouldn't have to beg and plead to sleep in my bed at home.And the ability to expand would be there,also.

10. DoubleDear

Jan 28, 2009
    Harrisburg PA
    It Becomes too much of a headache after a while when trying to work with different Load boards and Many Brokers.
    Because after obtaining your Authority, you need to fax over to each broker you use for loads , your Insurance Certificate and Authority Rights.

You didn't mention if you have any equipment or what type of trailer you have. Working with Brokers you also need your own trailer.
    This is why many people go with Trucking companies who provides the trailers.

Starting off with ones own authority, as I see fit, the best way to go, is getting yourself a reefer, find and work with ONE Produce Broker., hauling produce. Produce is heavy moving right now. Or even Agriculture Products.

If working with Brokers, you really don't need to do any billing. I know with Produce Brokers, they usually cut you a check a couple days after delivering the load. Some of them will place your money owed to you on a Com Data card.

It is when you have an actual customer of your own to ship their products, than you need to make up a bill .
    With Produce, all you need is a weight ticket for the broker. They pay you a percentage of the weight .

Working off of Load Boards and any particular Broker is difficult and you have to be careful of what these loads are paying you. Some Brokers if you don't know them , will rip drivers off. Be Careful of them., some have bad reputations and you never get paid. Oh and working through different brokers, you may never get home to sleep in your bed.. by trying to get from point B back to point A, close to your hometown.

Did you have any thing in mind of what exactly you want to do BigGreg?

BigGreg Thanks this.
  11. LDH26

LDH26 Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    What if the broker takes 10% of the load gross and provides you with a trailer for another 10%? Is this a good opportunity for someone who doesn't have the capital starting out to purchase their own trailer? I've got this offer right now. The trailer is a bottom hopper, and i've talked to a few O/O's who recommend this particular broker.

Big John and Huggins989 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.