Getting miles during COVID-19

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by cbake7, Jul 5, 2020.

1. cbake7

cbake7 Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Still on the fence with trucking - I'm hearing on Youtube that its hard to get miles in right now? Is this true from the experienced drivers in here? I wouldn't want to start this journey and then be barely making it, scratching and clawing for loads because of the pandemic....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Do not believe everything you watch on YouTube. Plenty of miles out here.

4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I havent had any problem getting miles. Still running 3500 to 4200 miles every 7 to 10 days (including the 2 or 3 days I spend at home betweem each run). So around 12000 miles a month, which is ever so slightly less than I was doing a year ago... But thats mostly because I am choosing to spend a little more time at home this year.

But I suppose it would depend on your company, dispatcher and load planner.

5. cbake7

cbake7 Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Awesome! And what company are you with?

hopeful eyes Thanks this.
  6. cbake7

cbake7 Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Yesterday, I sat down and applied with the following: as a backup if I can’t get a job in my insurance adjuster field:
    Schneider, TMC, Maverick, Superior, Roehl, Kennesaw, Millis, Nussbaum- what would be ya’lls top two companies to start out with as a rookie? The only one that doesn’t pay for/reimburse for school is Superior...

7. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I’m currently begging for some mercy. Literally been running my Clock down to the last second every week. I miss the a laid back week every now and then. Lol

8. hopeful eyes

hopeful eyes Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Richmond, Virginia
    I am glad that you guys can take a week or two off if you want to. So the flexibility is there. Good to know.

9. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    I didn't know Nussbaum took new drivers.

10. cbake7

cbake7 Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2020
    I applied a week ago and still haven’t been contacted so probably not! Their website claims they do but that is probably pre COVID information

hopeful eyes Thanks this.
  11. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Just remember......We get paid by the mile.....not driving.....no paycheck. Also, not many Companies will let you do it on a regular basis. Industry norm is one day off for every 7 out on the road. Many will make you clean out your truck if you take more than 4 or 5 days in a row. TRUST ME....you do not want to do that on a regular basis. I have switched out trucks 3 times in 4 years. It can take hours.

rachi, hopeful eyes and cbake7 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.