Getting started as a new CDL driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TruckDriverG, Nov 16, 2018.

1. TruckDriverG

TruckDriverG Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Before I get started on looking for a trucking school to get my CDL class A drivers license, I’d like to know if having a record will be an issue as far as getting a CDL class A license?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No, having a criminal record won't stop you from a trucking job.
    Which state do you live in? Maybe we can give you some leads on jobs; companies that hire felons.
    Are you on parole?

4. TruckDriverG

TruckDriverG Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2018
    That’s what I thought too but I want to make sure. I am in California.
    It would be great if you could give me some leads on jobs.
    not on parole but I am on probation.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do you plan to attend a private cdl school? If so, try to attend one that's 160 hrs.
    Where are you in California?
    How long ago was the conviction?

Tx Countryboy and TruckDriverG Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Take care of you probation. You did not specify what crime you were convicted of. For example if it was Theft, white collar embezzlement of a... Desiel fuel fund while working as a night office boy answering phones.. You can believe that you will never again work around big trucks or trucking companies.

There are certain crimes that are disqualifying. Others less so, but more dangerous if you repeat that violation on a actual CDL in your pocket. Eventually suspension and ultimately revokation. Which leaves you with nothing. Not even a basic car to gather your groceries.

TruckDriverG Thanks this.
  7. Alexander suero

Alexander suero Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2018

8. Alexander suero

Alexander suero Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2018
    No having a record won't stop you from getting a license depending on the type of record it may stop you from getting a HazMat endorsement because you need a background check. Neither a bad driving record or criminal record will hinder your ability to get a cdl. With that said you may be able to get a license but they may not hire you at truck companies. That depends on how long and the type of blemish you have. For example: A DUI is really bad either as a citation or in an accident that is looked at for 10 years. A crime is looked at for about 5 years. I have a federal felony and never had a problem after 5 years. Note. I would call werner, jb hunt or any major carrier and ask about the particulars. The most they will say is no.
    Not all people with records are bad!! Good luck!
    Alexandersuero@hotmail.com

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    You can get your CDL but, depending on the type of crime, some trucking companies may not hire you.
    Sex crimes, theft, arson, some types of drug offenses or crimes of violence are usually a red flag to the person doing the hiring.

x1Heavy and TruckDriverG Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Contact the cdl school you plan to attend, then get a approximate start date..
    After you have an approximate start date, submit some applications to trucking companies; you can do this before starting school.
    Try some companies that give 2nd chances to drivers with something in their background.
    Apply with these companies, even if you don't think you qualify:
    Western Express
    Roadtex Transportation
    Youngs Transport - Fresno,CA
    Robertson's Ready Mix
    Southern Refrigerated Transport

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  11. VantaiTatted

VantaiTatted Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Maryland
    It wont stop you, but depending on the crime would probably determine the quality of job you would be able to get right off the bat. Being new with a bad criminal record will only give u so many options.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.