Getting started here... maybe TLDR?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by narcolepticltd, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    By the way, since no one else asked, maybe none of my business but is your screen name a true representation of your current health situation or is just for humor? Because if you really have narcolepsy i could see that being problematic...

Lol sorry to change the subject.

narcolepticltd and Dan.S Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. narcolepticltd

narcolepticltd Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2018
    HAHAH!!! Yeah I could definitely see that as a bit of a problem out on the road :D

This username is something I've used for the better part of 20 years - it's shortened to NarcolepticLTD, but taken from some old comedy sketch about a narcoleptic brain surgeon. Originally I think I used it as a joke company name for something stupid - Narcoleptic Brain Surgeons (LTD)

Kyle G. and Dan.S Thank this.
  4. narcolepticltd

Feb 27, 2018
    That sounds awesome - I certainly didn't expect to see that kind of salary in the first year especially... I guess I won't know how strict they are about employment history until I speak with a recruiter - so that needs to happen sooner than later. As for my most recent gap of employment (the year and a half since I moved out here) that's documented on my resume as helping family with a cancer diagnosis - couldn't commit to an employer with the timing/responsibilities I had on the table at the time. I left my old company on good terms to come out here - just haven't been able to spring back into any gainful employment since.

That last bit you posted there is encouraging btw... I haven't felt like I have a lot of options in a looong time lol.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  5. Dan.S

Dan.S Light Load Member

May 10, 2017
    Tell you what, call Prime recruiting, and ask to speak with Andrea Mueller.

She is the head of the recruiting department (or was, as of 10/17) and can give you verified yes/no answers on this stuff. I wouldn’t settle for an answer that any of the others give you - half the time, in complicated situations, they don’t know what works and what doesn’t, or even, what they require.

If they turn you down for not being employed for helping a family member out, I’ll be very hesitant to recommend them in the future - those situations are rough, and it seems a very commendable thing you’ve done.

narcolepticltd Thanks this.
  6. narcolepticltd

Feb 27, 2018
    I may have to wait until next Monday to give her a call, as my current hours make it difficult to reach out during business hours - but I'll make it a point to ask for her! I'm assuming your contact you mentioned earlier is someone different or is it Andrea?

Dan.S Thanks this.
  7. Dan.S

Dan.S Light Load Member

May 10, 2017
    I was referring to my friend that is the lease op/driver trainer...

narcolepticltd Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    In your situation, put Jim Palmer Trucking and Prime Inc. at the top of the list and one reason for that is their trucks have diesel APU's. There's an explanation below, plus you'll have electrical power for refrigerator, computer, television, heat, air-conditioning,etc. while the truck engine is shut off. Trucking companies, states, cities,some truck stops, towns, have strict idling laws, so most of the time you have to shut of the truck engine when you're not driving.

[​IMG]
    Diesel-powered APU on truck
    The most common APU for a commercial truck is a small diesel engine with its own cooling system, heating system, generator or alternator system with or without inverter, and air conditioning compressor, housed in an enclosure and mounted to one of the frame rails of a semi-truck. Other designs fully integrate the auxiliary cooling, heating, and electrical components throughout the chassis of the truck. The APU generator engine is a fraction of the main engine's size and uses a fraction of the fuel; some models can run for eight hours on 1 US gallon (3.8 L) of diesel. The generator also powers the main engine's block and fuel system heaters, so the main engine can be started easily right before departure if the APU is allowed to run for a period beforehand. These units are used to provide climate control and electrical power for the truck's sleeper cab and engine block heater during downtime on the road as mandated by statewide laws for idle reduction.[

Dan.S and narcolepticltd Thank this.
  9. narcolepticltd

Feb 27, 2018
    You're right, that's a HUGE reason right there - Do you know if most of them (in prime and Jim Palmer) also include inverters or is it a likely possibility that I'll be stuck with a 12v system? Just asking so I can plan accordingly regarding accessories that I might plan to have with me.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I don't know the answer to that.
    If you go with Prime, get a full size truck though, not a tiny Eco truck with no storage space inside.
    Jim Palmer doesn't use Eco trucks, and at least with Prime you have a choice; not forced into a tiny truck.

Dan.S and narcolepticltd Thank this.
  11. narcolepticltd

Feb 27, 2018
    sorry, silly question - that's something I should save for their recruiters :D

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.