Getting unstuck....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Commuter69, Mar 7, 2019.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I've gotten unstuck from a parking lot with numerous potholes, so many it looked like a moonscape. Either hold some brake pressure while trying to start movinh or bounce on the brake pedal while trying to start. The truck I had had BOTH interaxle diff & power divider. I think those are the names of the features. One system puts half of engine power to front & back drive axle. The other system makes sure left & right wheels on drive axles turn at same speed AS LONG AS ALL WHEELS CONTACT GROUND. I had one wheel hanging over a pothole. When I applied power that wheel spun and other wheels didn't move. By applying some brakes, the free wheel didn't spin so some power went to other wheels.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Or a bulldozer sitting close by.

Gumper Thanks this.
  4. Masonkid

Masonkid Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2017
    I didn’t believe it until I tried it...but dropping your air bags can sometimes make a difference.

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Interesting. I think that method has to do with weight distribution. It’s probably transferring more weight onto the drives.

Dennixx Thanks this.
  6. kidz bop

kidz bop Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2017
    shovel away the slippery surface around the tires, move truck forward and reverse until the tires land on the surface with traction that you created. and your moving. you may need to carve a path of where you plan to go to help ensure you stay moving.

i never needed a tow truck, but there has been plenty of times the trusty shovel has helped in tire spin situations.

also a button you can press in the cab that helps in these types of situations, it makes all the tires spin, when normally they'd spin differently to reduce wear and tear around turns.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  7. Scottyotty1

Scottyotty1 Light Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    I keep two bags of $1 kitty litter in my side box in the winter has gotten me out of many a spot over the years, just buy the cheap stuff.
    I had an old timer look at me like I was crazy one time because I put one snow chain on my drives before I backed in on a decline well all the sudden ice storm rolled in and guess who was spinning their wheels trying to get out and who wasnt I didn't even tighten down the chain I just threw it on loose.
    Only took 4 minutes of my time and no $750 tow bill to pull me out of a parking spot 20 ft. The old-timer didn't look happy when I pulled out and pulled away just because I look like a noob does it mean I am I've been out here 3 I've been out here close to 30 years.
    I seen a flat better take a chain and place it on his rear axle and then attach it to a truck that was stuck yank so hard that he snapped the chain and it flew back into the radiator and went completely through it.
    Believe me I've got some cool stories

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.