getting very high swr part 2

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by carg618, Feb 25, 2018.

1. carg618

carg618 Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2018
    I am getting a very high swr reading. 3.5 to 4. I have a 4 foot firestik on a triple mag mount. I live in new York and it is pretty hilly but I shouldn't get 3.5 to 4 swr. What could be the problem. I hear you don't have to ground the magnet mounts idk. My antenna is mounted on the roof too. What could the problem for this high swr be? UPDATE: I checked different mounts and antennas and even different coax and seem to get around a 3. It also seems to change when i go through town. sometimes its a 3.5 and sometimes its a 3. Nothing better than 3 though. But every mount and every antenna was the same swr so it cant be the mount or antenna. Why is my swr so high?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Maybe the meter is not accurate, do you know anyone with a different meter you could try? Do you by chance have a radio with swr meter like a Cobra 29 ltd? The meter is not 100% accurate but usually in the ballpark. Is the mount positioned in the center of the roof, front,back, one side or the other, is it all the way back near a rear light or near something electrical? Im just throwing out possible causes, when I had a mobile setup in my 2005 F150 I used a Wilson 1000 magnet and with whip all the way down( no trimming required) and antenna mounted dead center of roof swr was 1.2 on channels 1,20,and 40, if I moved the mount closer to the rear ( near a light) the swr would go up plus the signal would become more directional front and back.

4. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    If it were me I would buy a Wilson Lil Wil ( can never have enough antennas) and install it and see if you encounter same problem, if swr is acceptable with Lil Will then something is obviously wrong with mount/antenna combo that you are currently trying.

5. carg618

carg618 Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2018
    my swr is brand new and i even moved it to the trunk and still the same problem. i really really doubt its the swr or the placement

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  6. carg618

carg618 Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2018
    i have tried different antennas and mounts. that isnt the problem

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  7. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    As far as meters I have always liked, and trusted the Radio Shack model 21-534 for both accurate swr and power measurement, both carrier and pep, however I have the same Astatic meter that you are using, and use it in my work truck and it seems to be pretty accurate( compared it to Radio Shack meter a couple of times) . Do you know anyone that has a mobile setup with an established acceptable swr that you could possibly check their swr with your meter and see if it is the same? that way you could rule out the meter as the problem, just a thought.

8. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    Then process of elimination it is either the vehicle or the meter. That meter is what it is , a truck stop cheapo, maybe it wasnt calibrated correctly from the factory, only way to know for sure is to use it on a setup that has a good swr.

9. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    How many different mounts? You have 2 correct, the tri-mag and the workman, how many different antennas? are any of them adjustable? Besides the Firestick are they open coils, base loaded,center loaded? I only suggested the Lil Wil because it comes with its own magnet mount and coax and would not be in any way associated with any combo you have tried up to this point, still like you I find it hard to believe that both mounts and all the antennas that you have tried are at fault, me I would try a different meter.

10. carg618

carg618 Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2018
    someone i know has many different mouns and amtennas

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I'm going to give you a couple pieces of advice because it is impossible to explain through a forum.

1 - hills and the area does not matter to the swr. Not a bit.

2 - you need to find any one around you to help you. If you don't have a shop, or some place that can look at the system, go find your local ham club and ask them for help. They will always have someone willing to help and show you how you to troubleshoot your system.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.