Getting your own authority

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by dclerici1, Feb 20, 2017.

1. dclerici1

dclerici1 Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2012
    MISSOURI
    Hi Folks. I usually hang out over on the flatbed threads but visit this one occasionally for a couple of reasons 1- I have very good friends that retired a few years ago out of Schneider as a husband/wife company team. Jerry was interested in the IC program when it very first started but decided to stay company. 2- About 6 years ago I almost entered the IC program but decided to get my own authority.

So, after reading your threads and getting an indication that a lot of you want to get your own authority I thought I'd offer 2 cents worth of things to think about.

I applied for my US DOT and MC numbers myself online in 2011. DOT # didn't cost anything, MC# was $350 on a credit card.

DOT # came pretty quick, MC # took almost 4 weeks.

MC # application, you have to provide insurance info and the insurance company will have to provide them with a special "proof of" form. Also, you have to provide a "Process of Service" ( list of one attorney in each state that will represent you in any MC matters. This is also a special form.) I belong to OOIDA and they provide this list and submit it for you at no cost. IMHO, membership in OOIDA is very valuable.

There are businesses out there that will do all this for you but they charge you a lot of money and the MC # still takes time to get. I can't remember if OOIDA will do the complete process for you or recommend a business that they trust.

IFTA, pretty easy to get just another application to fill out. But this does involve good record keeping and time every quarter to fill out the reports. Again, there are services out there that will do this for you but they don't do it for free.

Anyways, I guess what I want to say is that you need to think 6 to 8 weeks ahead if you don't want to loose any time between switching. You need time to investigate, plan, and go through the application process.

Good luck to all of you, keep on truckin.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CSDixon

CSDixon Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Denver CO
    Recently learned that since Progressive (who use to be the go-to insurer) will now only insure O/O with at least one year of experience driving under their own authority; so many O/O are choosing to lease-on rather than go independent because alternative company insurance rates, these days, for $1,000,000/$100,000 approach the cost of a good used truck (that could also be leased on; and repeat). Do you know what OOIDA average quote is? To me, service after an accident is more importent than getting the "lowest" quote. Want to be assured that it won't be like pulling teeth if I file a claim. A "reasonable" quote is okay.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Ooida will do everything for you to get authority... can't remember what the price is tho...

P.S. You can and probably should do it yourself....just so you learn what's going on.

5. Kenworth 4life

Kenworth 4life Medium Load Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Augusta, Maine
    I've had my own authority for many years now and I would never go back to pulling for someone else. The only thing I would have done different is. When I first started with my own authority I would look at the load boards and find a load then call then fax information THIS TAKES TIME!! I have an independent dispatcher who works for herself so if im making money she's making money she finds my loads and done all the leg work. I call her and drive that's it!

Bfr38, kenn2632, majestyk and 2 others Thank this.
  6. RootHog

RootHog Heavy Load Member

May 23, 2008
    NWA
    Cost will depend on truck age. Newer the truck, the cheaper the cargo/liability.

I insure through Schneider for physical damage and bobtail. Total cost when I wanted a quote to add cargo/liability put me at around $9300 for my first year. 2015 model truck.

There are a small number of brokers who won't deal with OOIDA, but from my research, those tend to be brokers you likely don't want to do business with anyway.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.