Giving up Authority

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruKer70, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    There’s a lot of truth in that statement. Less headache, and Drivers pay is better than it has been for a long time. 100k a yr., driving a brand new Truck is pretty good. Add benefits, paid vacation, holidays, and the ability to find another similar Job if needed, because everyone’s begging you to work for them. Compared to the extra time, and effort involved in being Independent. It’s a very real argument. When I started out, it was out of necessity to make just a bit extra. The good paying jobs weren’t as plentiful as now. They were hard to get. Had a lot of older more experienced Drivers available. That’s all changed. Never been a better time to be a Company Driver that I remember, since the loss of the really good paying jobs in the 80’s, like my Dad had, before my time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TK808

TK808 Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2023
    Agreed

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    How do you LOSE 15 to 30% when you are just provide the service and nothing else?

exhausted379 Thanks this.
  5. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Im not totally following you. I’m talking about what the carrier you’re leased onto keeps. Why not just do things yourself and keep 100% of the revenue?

6. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Some of you guys get leased purchase/forced dispatch type of operations mixed up or confused with someone like me leasing my truck and trailer that I own onto a company.

We have in-house agents that are all independently owned freight brokerages that are essentially leased onto the company same as a owner operator does.

I can book loads off ITS or directly from one of the agents here.

No one tells me where, when, or how anything. I do everything on my own.

Big Road Skateboard and Long FLD Thank this.
  7. peabody747

peabody747 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2022
    so I've only been owner op for a short time of 6 months here this time around. Trying to figure out which is best direction. Unfortunately with these crap rates and high fuel other expenses such as insurance and trailer rental barely breaking even working with brokers. Problem in the market is one way is usually great, say leaving out of Chicago to anywhere but then you lose arse trying to build back to Chicago.

So next I tried a medium mega yeah that was a joke, sure there short runs paid much better then market but then extreme deadhead after to get back to a good area and they can't think outside the box.

So now I'm gonna try a small carrier that has a mixture of both, load board and contracted freight. Sure I know the risk of this small outfit, lying, stealing cheating etc but supposedly they share ratecons and what not. If this don't work then I don't know what to do next but rates on open market seem impossible, but if it rebounds I should be in position to jump on the good.
    But to op I would probably keep numbers active and just lease onto to someone that will allow you to use them

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.