Glider ideas

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by DL550CAT, Jan 23, 2012.

1. JDP

JDP Medium Load Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Dubuque, IA
    We have cab extenders on all our flatbed trucks for exactly that purpose. Plus it makes everything look cleaner, but this is on a midroof of course.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    I kind of agree. Plus it makes it a PITA to was the back of the cab with a headache rack. We've always had them on all the KW's with sleepers but after seeing more without I like them better. (unless it's a 36" sleeper then they look kinda goofy without.

The Pete sleeper being rounded I like them without.

4. Mr. Haney

Mr. Haney Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2008
    I personally don't like the looks of the cab extenders on any flat top Pete's. I've never seen a 36" or a 48" flat top sleeper with the extenders installed only the 63" sleepers. If you decide to remove them at a later date because you don't like them, you'll have to repaint the sleeper corners afterwards

I think it's going to look odd with them on

5. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    I think 95k for a truck with no motor, trans or rears is outrageous.

rogueunh Thanks this.
  6. rogueunh

rogueunh Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Sort of what I was thinking.

I paid 25k for mine and would drive it across country anytime. (And it even has a nice motor and 13 speed trans in it!)

7. country29

country29 Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Arkansas
    well considering a new custom speced 389 is closing in on 140k or more with junk emmissions motors, you can still put a pre-emmissions engine in a glider and have a new trans and still be under 130k with better fuel mileage and reliability than a 2012. So you save 10k off the bat, plus dont have to pay FET, and a solid 1+ mpg better fuel economy with less breakdowns, makes since to me but just my country boy .02 worth.

8. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    It made more sense when gliders weren't popular and cheap! Now all the truck makers have caught on to what everyone is doing and basically bending them over on the prices.

How long before the cost of glider, motor, trans, rears and installing everything is gonna be more than a new truck? I'm betting not long!

Now I could understand if that came with a reman motor of your choice and maybe a transmission.

9. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    If you look back at the guys post it was 95k and it was a rolling glider. Meaning it had new rears also. Sounds about right to me.

10. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    I missed that, but it's still too much money IMO for a glider.

Something funny I just thought of, I remember when gliders were looked down on. Now everyone wants one.

11. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I have been in discussion with a local dealer regarding a glider. Have 16 pages of spec sheets now. I loaded this truck up. Interior has just about everything available, more cabinets than a lot of kitchens, built in fridge, and woodgrain galore. 500 hp 12.7 factory rebuilt Detroit, 13 spd, liftable pusher axle. Full new truck warranties and 3 yr / 300,000 engine factory warranty. New rear 23K diff with 750,000 mile warranty. Invoice price of the entire package is coming in at just over $105,000. When you factor in that I will not have the 12% Federal Excise Tax like I would with a new emissions laden truck, then it becomes a no brainer. I couldn't even look at a similar equipped new production, emission bogged, truck for less than $140,000.

So..... too much for a glider? Not hardly.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    The Challenger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.