Glider Kits

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by John from Oregon, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    How ever you want to interpret it is your choice. Mine came from Fitzgerald’s and after I got all of their parts out it has been a great glider. It still came from Fitzgerald’s.

aaronpeterbilt3787 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. aaronpeterbilt3787

aaronpeterbilt3787 Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    What motor did you spec in it?

4. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Series 60 and after nearly 5 years I wouldn’t want anything else. Possibly an N-14 would be a close second. My issues were that they didn’t use all OEM Detroit parts. It was still minor issues and downtime compared to having issues with an EGR or similar emissions issues in my opinion.

5. aaronpeterbilt3787

Apr 2, 2016
    I really think the pre emissions stuff is gonna come to end sooner or later. Don’t get me wrong, I like old school, long nose, cat power. But emissions trucks seem to be more and more figured out now. Especially when it comes to Paccar and Detroit. Not to mention the fuel mileage gains. If one thing that never changes in life, it’s that nothing ever stays the same. I long for the old days, but they’re simply gone unfortunately.

p608, Derailed and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  6. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I agree that it seems the newer emission engines are more reliable. My rig is my last to make money with and I don’t worry that it will be outlawed in my part of the country any time soon. I hate the thought of owning a Paccar motor and having to go to Peterbilt for engine work.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Dave_in_AZ and aaronpeterbilt3787 Thank this.
  7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    You don't want an N14. Can't get decent injectors for them anymore. They're practically obsolete.

Banker and aaronpeterbilt3787 Thank this.
  8. aaronpeterbilt3787

Apr 2, 2016
    Trust me, when I say permissions stuff will go away, I don’t think they will be outlawed, but I do think the outrageous prices ppl ask for them will drop. Once the high demand for them subsides, and longevity is proven in newer stuff, it’s inevitable.

joey8686, Derailed and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I still like opening the hood and seeing an old skool motor. Like others have said when there is an issue more mechanics can diagnose and properly fix the old motors.

10. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Having a good mechanic around that knows how to fix whatever motor you have makes a lot of difference. There’s a post on here somewhere of a woman who was broke down with a series 60 Detroit somewhere and she couldn’t find mechanics that knew how to work on it. They were all you guys that were trained for the newer stuff.

Around here it’s no problem to find a good mechanic for pre emissions motors, but I suppose eventually it will be. Kind of like trying to find someone to rebuild the carburetor on the 69 Chevy I used to have. Had to find an old guy way off the beaten track. That gets to be a pain too.

Just for the record, I bought my first emissions truck several months ago and I absolutely love it. Haven’t had the first issue with it yet, and making 1.5 mpg better than my old series 60 did.

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    There was rumor control the next Cummins will be post DEF.

As in they've figured out to make it meet the standard without DEF.

This will make everything before this engine, if it's real, obsolete.

RubyEagle, Banker and OldeSkool Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.