Glider rules question

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by John Bertucci, Mar 2, 2024.

1. John Bertucci

John Bertucci Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2019
    I am looking at a Cascadia 2012 with a 12.7 Detroit. It isn't titled as a glider, was just done in a shop of some small trucking company. I want to know if I am going to run into problems possible with this sort of arrangement. Know better than to take it into California, and I heard theres some rule from 1991 about emissions engines and truck years but thats as far as i know. clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Vampire and Northeasterner Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Technically if it was not designated as a glider by the manufacturer as indicated in the serial number, then it is a regular 2012 and requires egr,dpf and def emissions.
    Getting the engine swapped to a 60 Series basically means it’s been deleted and is not a legal road worthy truck.
    If you were going to run it local and they don’t check for that sort of thing during the annual inspection you could probably run it. But not for interstate use.
    I know for sure if you were to go to Ontario, Canada and got inspected they will pull the plates off the truck and have it towed.

flood Thanks this.
  4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Sorry but that truck is 100% illegal..

Will you get caught..? Don't know but the fine is BIG and you could lose the truck

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If the VIN doesn't indicate it is a glider then its most likely just a truck someone swapped an older engine in to. Unfortunately doing that is illegal.

Vampire Thanks this.
  6. John Bertucci

John Bertucci Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2019
    OK thanks yall, thats why im a member in this forum! I had a feeling that was the case but ive been seeing alot of these Shady Tree Gliders lately. I had to know, but it makes plenty of sense otherwise everyone would be doing it. By the way, he told me hes done 100,000 miles with the truck and its been fine, i guess its just a matter of time before he gets his cheeks busted.

Vampire Thanks this.
  7. Sons Hero

Sons Hero Road Train Member

Jan 8, 2021
    Indiana
    You would be fine running that truck. I know a guy, I’ve hauled for him before, that buys brand new trucks, delete them right off the bat and he runs all over the place, including California. He has never had a problem. Average DOT has no idea what the mechanics of an engine even are, and if it says Certified Clean Idle on the door, that’s all he will notice

8. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The chances of getting caught as a one truck guy are slim. I’d be more worried about the shop that did it and what all the wiring and everything looks like. You could end up with a hack job that could turn into a nightmare down the road.

Vampire, Northeasterner and Sons Hero Thank this.
  9. Sons Hero

Sons Hero Road Train Member

Jan 8, 2021
    Indiana
    IMG_1755.jpeg
    Like this? Lol

10. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    I have 3 repowered trucks like that , inspected 25 times and after probably million miles never had any issue with dot

Vampire and dirthaller Thank this.
  11. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    .. one of them is 2013 cascadia

Vampire Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.