Gliders in 2021

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by slow.rider, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    It depends on if you’re talking about an exempt glider or not. There’s a pile of paperwork and hoops to jump through to order and build an exempt glider, which is why you see the high prices on the last of the Paccar gliders for sale.

Each builder had to be issued a unique builder number from the manufacturer. Then once that happened the consumer was allowed to order their glider. Then once the builder assembled the glider for the customer there was more paperwork that had to be done. And who was allowed to assemble a glider was dependent on if they built a glider during a certain year in the past.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    You still might be right
    Maybe they were stopping in 2020 but the ‘21 were trucks built after February?

I ordered a 2021 and it was supposed to be built like March 6 last year. 2020
    Plant closed the day before so I had to wait a couple months or whatever it was

Coffey and OldeSkool Thank this.
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    If you're talking exempt from ELD, I actually need ELD compatible. I just don't want emissions stuff. Not yet, anyway. Maybe someday, after they've worked the bugs out.

6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    An exempt glider is emissions exempt. Has nothing to do with ELD. And you’re probably not getting one now unless you buy one that’s already built or one that somebody backed out on.

7. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    I just called Fitzgerald and asked if they're still making the Columbias, and the exact answer was "No we don't make any gliders any more, they're not available."

I guess they haven't updated their website yet.

8. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    On a 1999 or older you were going to rebuild, how many parts can you replace? Frame? Engine? Cab? Is there a % that needs to remain original?

9. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    ######, I want a fricken columbia. I guess the next big thing will be buy a decent body with a junk motor and have dealer install new motor. Or maybe find one of those notorious aftermarket Fitzgeralds that just got an OEM rebuild after falling apart at 200k miles.

10. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    One thing I know is you can't put a non-emissions engine where an emissions engine used to be. And apparently the cabs arent being made any more. Beyond that I'm not aware of any restriction.

11. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
  12. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    No.

13. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    the 1% that holds the original vin

just finishing up putting new frame rails under my uncles LTL, it’s all just big nuts and bolts

Tug Toy and slow.rider Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs