GLOVES???

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Therookie, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Therookie

Therookie Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2013
    alabama
    I'm a new flat bed driver "couple months" and haul a lot of coils and steel, which involves chains and bungees. I went through 3 pair of cheap gloves the 1st couple of weeks so spent $25 on a pair I thought would last, of course I had a hole in the fingers after a week. Any advice on really GOOD gloves?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i buy mine from truckstops. for $15. they are leather. don't remember the brand but that's the price. i usually throw them away before they start falling apart. about 6 weeks. they get so dirty, you can't keep your hands clean.

haven't had any luck with anything else out there. even walmart. which have been the shortest lasting gloves.

last year someone else asked the same question. there were a couple of good answers. from stores i've never heard of. hopefully, they're still around. and will see your thread.

Therookie Thanks this.
  4. Reverend Blair

Reverend Blair Light Load Member

May 30, 2011
    Winnipeg, MB
    I like the kind of mid-range gloves made out of pigskin. They cost about ten bucks a pair up here (they'll be cheaper in the US) and last 2 weeks to a month. I figure if I can spend $14.00 a day on cigarettes, $10.00 or $20.00 a month on gloves is pretty cheap.

Therookie Thanks this.
  5. skyguy

skyguy Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Got a pair of 'Ironclad Cold Condition' from Amazon. They've been pretty durable, warm but not overly thick and bulky. I do cryo tanker stuff, they've been great.

deedeedallas and Therookie Thank this.
  6. Therookie

Aug 21, 2013
    alabama
    Money isn't a concern but I would think gloves do exist out there that last over 2 weeks. If not, I found something to create. Lol

deedeedallas Thanks this.
  7. sxdime

sxdime Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Elkton MD
    Hit up your local tractor supply. CE Schmidt or the Carhart gloves do well. Look for the ones with the reinforced fingers. looks like extra material sewn on.

deedeedallas, Therookie and 77smartin Thank this.
  8. Reverend Blair

Reverend Blair Light Load Member

May 30, 2011
    Winnipeg, MB
    I don't know, maybe I'm just hard on gloves. The straps and chains chew them up, the limestone that gravels the yards doesn't help much either. I've tried the expensive gloves and they don't last any longer. I've tried the cheap ones, but they don't fit right.

I guess I could sell the worn out ones as fingerless trucker gloves.

9. 5190

5190 Bobtail Member

How about the thick leather welding gloves? Cheap at Harbor Freight.

10. Therookie

Aug 21, 2013
    alabama
    Thought about that but can't move fingers enough to do what is needed. I'll figure it out. I bet someone has created good gloves. Hard on them or not. You get what you pay for.

11. Therookie

Aug 21, 2013
    alabama
    I've had leather, cloth, sheep, pig. No good

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.