Going down long steep "DOWNGRADE"

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dano1971, Nov 19, 2010.

1. dano1971

dano1971 Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2010
    RIO GRANDE, NJ
    On thursday morning I was with a trainer going thru W.VA. 1st. time really on the road never in the mountians in a rig, I was picking up alot I mean alot of speed I didn't have a jake break and had no idea what to do. The instructor said don't doanything just keep up the speep. Can you use your breaks on steep downgrades without wiping out and was my instructor right....:biggrin_25524::biggrin_25513:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dano1971

dano1971 Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2010
    RIO GRANDE, NJ
    I graduate today and take my roadtest on 11/30/2010......:biggrin_2556:

4. wannabe-on-the-road

wannabe-on-the-road Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Were you on I64, sandstone mountain between Beckley and Lewisburg? I lived about 10 miles from that mountain from the time it was built till about 6 yrs ago. Its dangerous for everyone, not just truckers. Im a wannabe so I dont know the answer, but someone will before long.

dano1971 Thanks this.
  5. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    It's hard to say if your "instructor" was right without knowing the grade and speeds involved. But let me answer your question with another one. Can you play Russian roulette with a revolver and never get wiped out?

Again without knowing the grade you are talking about I would say yes you can make it down using your brakes which is common practice along with gearing down BEFORE you start down the grade. Your instructor might have been correct in saying dont worry but then again he could also be a dip wad that dont know any better. Did you question him about the incident or let him know of your concerns. Maybe its because you are new to big rigs (or maybe not) that it seemed like you were picking up lots of speed but actually it was a "normal" thing. Were you at the top of the hill, middle, bottom? Strait or curves? Anyway the short answer is yes, you can always use your brakes going down a hill without wiping out............EVERY SINGLE TIME

dano1971 Thanks this.
  6. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    you got that straight. i had over time several loads of whiskey from Bardstown (louisville area) heading back to richmond,VA. what a freaking ride, no jake brake for me either...!!!

dano1971 and JimDriv3r Thank this.
  7. JimDriv3r

JimDriv3r Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Is
    I was given horrible advice as far as driving down hill with no jakes: Smoke 'em if ya got 'em...

You can use your brakes going down hill, but be very careful to make sure you don't burn your brakes out. Smoke is the 1st bad sign.

dano1971 Thanks this.
  8. Rerun8963

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    you want to do what is commonly known as "snub braking" and here is how you would want to do it:

you need to be in a LOWER gear, that's a given.

you need to be going at the "safe speed" for the hill (i call them hill's now)

if say the 'safe speed" is 55 mph, then you will want to descend at 50 mph

here's how it's done.

downshift to a lower gear, usually 1 gear lower than what you used to climb.

as you descend the grade, watch your speedometer, and when it hits 55 mph, you hit the brakes just hard enough to feel a definite slowdown to 50 mph.

when the truck reaches 50 mph, let off the brakes, and watch your speed again.

it hits 55, you hit the brakes to 50 mph.

this will continue through out the entire down grade.

now, whatever you do, DO NOT let your speed get ABOVE the safe speed limit...>!!

if you do, this will require MORE braking power and you will most certainly heat up your brakes.. lose them, crash and burn.....

as it stands now, even doing the 'snub brake method", your brakes WILL heat up, but they will still cool some what so you still have them.

your instructor ought to be biotch slapped.....he is wrong, DO NOT keep up your speed on a down grade..!!!

this "snub braking" is in just about EVERY state CDL manual.....!!! as well as FILMS....!!!!

9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    If he was in a student truck, he was empty. So, no big deal. My students use to freak out on Cajon Pass, thinking it was big time scary. You need to be concerned about % downgrade, length of downgrade, how much weight in your wagon, condition of brakes, traffic conditions and if you have a Jake.

dano1971 Thanks this.
  10. Rerun8963

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    he says his "trainer" wouldn't that mean driver-trainer as in a regular trucking job...??? still for the trainer to say "keep up your speed" is (to me) not good advice....what happens if the trailer is loaded...?? we don't really have all the particulars though, it could have been empty, could have had a load...

yeah, "first timers" tend to freak out and use the A/C on MAX........even in dead of winter.....!!!!......

i know i did my first time....!!!!

11. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    All good points above! Another one to live by though is don't let your truck gain speed and you won't be in that position. Until you learn to drive and learn most of your major grades around the country just take it slow. You will eventually figure out where you can let it coast without is biting you in the butt. For instance, coming down Donners into Cali, there are actually signs that tell you to coast and not use your brakes. Though if your coming down 17 from Flagstaff to Phoenix you may not want to coast so much because there are a lot of tight corners going down. Another thing is in the winter time you need to be careful using your Jake and also using the "stab brake" application. A little patch of ice while doing this and you will find your trailer passing you! Ideally, keep it slow until you have some miles under your belt. It's tempting too when you see everyone else blow by you. Keep in mind you don't know their weights and abilities! Don't let them influence you. Oh yeah, don't be a road hazard either! Hope this helps. Good luck to you!

hup and dano1971 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.