Going down long steep "DOWNGRADE"

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dano1971, Nov 19, 2010.

1. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    It may be the approved method, but it is not smooth, puts too much dependence on the jake, and takes more air pressure at each slowdown.

I know each has his own way, and that's OK. I will use what I used for the 27 years before I ever got a truck with a jake.

Last summer I came off a very steep and long mountain heavy. At the rest area at the bottom I checked all the wheels. I could lay my hand on every wheel anywhere I wanted. But, I can also see how someone not used to going down a mountain this way could very easily overheat brakes.

I learned this way and guess I will keep doing it. It sure is a lot smoother on the guy in the bunk by not having the brakes mashed on every few seconds.

Tonythetruckerdude Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    Same thing as "Dynamic" just another term to describe the same thing.
    What is interesting is that the energy contained in a moving object increases exponentially with speed (speed to the power of 2). What this means.Energy needed to stop your truck from 80 is over twice then what is needed from 55 and is 4 times greater then what is needed from 40. Speed is not your friend squared.

LeadfootSlider Thanks this.
  4. clbell66

clbell66 Light Load Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Phx, az
    Just because its approved doesn't mean its the best

5. clbell66

clbell66 Light Load Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Phx, az
    Yes there are a few blind curves going south on the 17.You don't wont to let er roll down nothing you cant see is clear,like a traffic accident that is already there.

6. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    That's exactly what the old timers told me when I first started running west in '73... we had ONE truck with a Jake... and it wasn't mine... we also always went down the hill in the same gear we went up. Donner was a long, long grade at 20 mph!

clbell66 Thanks this.
  7. fenderman

fenderman Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Correct answer on the exam,and the real world are two entirely different things.

8. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    exactly fenderman...but some folks don't believe that simple fact....they talk about knowing how the new way is better and ours is so dangerous...to me that is like trying to explain history to someone that lived through it.....jut silly.

rocknroll81 Thanks this.
  9. fenderman

fenderman Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Amen I hear ya

10. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Your Mailbox
    Holy thread bump, batman!

11. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Lets count this up between 4 drivers that agree on the right gear first, slow speed, steady even pressure method. 123456,=33years, fenderman=36 years, Ghost Ryder=16 years, Me=33years...118years experience ....sort of speaks for itself......and that ain't counting the others above just the last 4 posters....

rocknroll81 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.