Going New this time

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by DirtyBob, May 2, 2017.

1. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    4 years ago I would have agreed with you, but Volvo has really "worked out the kinks" with the emissions. We have about 150 Volvos in our fleet, which have far less emission issues than the Freightliners.

Idling seems to really screw up the dpf system on any of the modern trucks, but we are essentially local so our idle times are always under 15%.(Would likely be 5% if not for DFW traffic)

DirtyBob and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    emissions have come a long way in the later model trucks. Being it's a '16, you should be OK.
    Some of these guys are basing their horrors on the pre '14 model years.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  4. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    That's why they are mechanics, and not owner operators. They are so full of smelly stuff it's funny.

DirtyBob, Rontonio, Orangees and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Mullet_Head87

Mullet_Head87 Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Clearwater
  6. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Our trucks were Internationals, and now KWs. I agree with you that Volvo seems to be the best choice where the DPF and DEF catalyst systems are concerned. But the only Volvo trucks that we have are CNG, so that's a whole different animal.

ExOTR Thanks this.
  7. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    That's why you purchase a truck from somewhere that you know their service times from personal experience. The main reason I buy Volvos is due to my location relative to a particular dealership which I have a good relationship with and know their service speeds. Other than International, I really don't care what kind of truck I drive and service will probably always be my first consideration in purchases.

On top of that, I still own a second truck as a backup truck. At worst I have to rent a truck as I had to before. Obviously, that eats into profits, but I still make more than enough when I have to rent. Yes, I can actually afford to be down for three weeks, but I wouldn't because I rent a truck for anything taking more than two days to repair. Now I don't even have to do that with a second truck.

Trust me, this isn't an on the whim thing with no thought. There are a lot of guys in my industry doing just fine with brand new trucks.

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Beautiful

9. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    That's what she said....

Heck, here's a repost, just so we can see her again...

VOLVO3.png VOLVO2.jpg VOLVO1.jpg

DirtyBob and 77fib77 Thank this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I had no issues with my 670 / D13. They (Phoenix Volvo ) recommend having the DPF serviced every 18 months as a maintenance. Shop manager is a pretty smart guy, and says never fool with the sensors, if one fails, replace just the one and keep on trucking.

I had a "Smart Idle" feature. It engaged and would change engine RPM all by itself.

DirtyBob Thanks this.
  11. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    2016 430
    455 hp / 1750-1550 lb-ft
    10 speed
    3.36 rears
    196 inch wheelbase I think

Here's a not so distorted pic with a trailer.

Truck 1.png

Socal Xpress and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.