Going to California?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by gekko1323, May 25, 2022.

1. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I run California pretty often
    My truck is compliant 2019
    I run about 65 and never have issues as long as your not in and out of traffic etc
    Traffic? Once I’m past the middle of the Country it’s pretty free rolling until I get to LA or such so it’s a trade off
    When I go East. It seems like It’s all day and tolls
    The only way you will get a compliant issue if you’re not is either getting caught by one of only a handful of carb cars or if they do an audit on your IFTA??? I believe??

A few companies have been fined for letting their drivers run there once they were audited and showed X miles ran with old gear

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    I'll trade the rainy and frosty NE USA with the sunny and warm SW USA anytime.
    I did both and my choice is clear. Plus their streets are in better shape since they are newer in design.

joshuapowell61 and gekko1323 Thank this.
  4. DannyB

DannyB Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Jackson Mi
    Been there, won't go back. That goes for the entire left coast. And anywhere east of interstate 77.

5. RefMata

RefMata Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Nogales, AZ
    CARB enforcement is a joke. Plenty of older trucks running in that state, myself included with a '99 FLD. You just won't be allowed to pick up directly from ports and railyards, and won't be allowed to register your truck in that state as they want only 2010 MY trucks or newer, any older trucks have to be repowered by a 2010 MY engine or newer in order to be registered.

As for freight, yeah there's plenty of freight volume. Not enough moolah in it though considering the costs of operations in these trying times.

6. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Enjoyed my California time up until a couple years ago and then I found less stressful ways to pay my bills.
    Haven't been back since and doubt I ever will be .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.