Going to Orientation Aug 1st

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by j768nhra, Jul 28, 2011.

1. j768nhra

j768nhra Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Northern Californina
    Well, I finally got my call this morning that I'm scheduled for Orientation on Monday Aug 1st. I've been waiting for a few weeks now to get started, I know that it will have been worth the wait to get on at Gordon, good things are worth waiting for. I love the fact that of all the BS I read on this site, I read very little negative about Gordon.

My trainer called me this afternoon and said his instructions are to pick me up in Rancho Cucumonga on Thursday the 4th, I thought I was going to Washington for orientation but it doesn't really matter to me where it is....I'm just very happy and extremely excited to get started. He sounded like a real nice guy over the phone.

Anything any of you can tell me to help me get through orientation?

Thank you, Butch

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shastamedic

shastamedic Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Redding,California
    Good luck Butch. Keep the left door shut and the shiny side up.

4. j768nhra

j768nhra Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Northern Californina
    Thanks Jeff,

I was reading the JBS thread and it sounds like your training is going well, I've been going stir crazy waiting for Rick to call. I'm glad I waited, I can't wait to get started.

5. semiret

semiret Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2010
    N/A
    How's it going??

6. j768nhra

j768nhra Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Northern Californina
    It's going well, orientation was ok...lots of papers to sign and videos to watch. My trainer picked me up at the Rancho terminal late Thursday and we slept in the truck there.

The next morning we got dispatched to pick up a loaded trailer in Motebello CA and take it 80 miles to a Costco in Hawthorne to unload. We took that empty to Quaker Oats in Buena Park and grabbed a loaded trailer and delivered it 1162 miles to Lakewood WA yesterday at 02:00.

We went to the Pacific terminal where we took our 34. Tonight around 21:00 we pick up in Fife WA and we go to Billings MT. My trainer and I get along good, he's a real good guy and very helpful. He drove the first day, we stopped in Colinga for our 10 and I've been driving ever since.

Been pretty busy on the road, this is really the only chance I've had to get on the computer. Gonna lay down for a bit, I gotta drive all night.

7. j768nhra

j768nhra Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Northern Californina
    Our load got changed, we got a load delivering in Spokane at 04:00 tomorrow.

8. SAPDOG61

SAPDOG61 Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Coarsegold Ca
    Nice post!! I applied w/ Gordon last week and expect to be accepted in a couple days for orientation in Wash or Ca. 4 days orientation as a refresher and then they'll get me a truck and send me to Ca to p/u a load before going home to pack up. I'll be doing Regional Ca, Nev, Arz.

Thanks again for the info, sounds like a good choice I've made with Gordon

9. corypaul75

corypaul75 Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2012
    I noticed you said you have to drive all night...so my question is...does you trainer sleep while you drive? and vice versa...?

10. j768nhra

j768nhra Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Northern Californina

No, he rode in the jumpseat and I did all the driving for the 4 weeks I was out with him. We took all of our mandatory breaks as if I was solo, no team driving at all.

11. Desert_Skies

Desert_Skies Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Victorville,CA
    This is a great example of how companies should be running thier training programs. The days of the student just being miles or a team partner for the "trainer" are on thier way out. Those of you that are trained under this type of system are going to be well trained confident drivers once your on your own.

MaxFr8 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.