Going to Orientation!!!

Discussion in 'TMC' started by NJ01vette, May 24, 2008.

1. Tarheelcountryhaulin

Tarheelcountryhaulin Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Linwood, NC
    No problem, yes definately keep us posted on how orientation goes for you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rawlco

Rawlco Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    I also took a plane. From Maine to Des Moines was going to be 49 hours on a bus. The plane trip ended up being about 12 hours with layovers between three different planes, so it was worth an extra $150 out of my pocket to get there. The bus ticket from Maine to DSM was going to be $149 so my recruiter promised me $150 if I could find my own way there. I did have to remind him about that to get my extra $50 when it didn't appear on my first paycheck.

4. Rawlco

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    My guess is that half of the recruits that show up on the first day for orientation actually complete orientation and are assigned a trainer. People may have lied on their application, have expired paperwork, fail the physical, or realize this job isn't for them.

I would also guess that some more people do not make it through training either they do not get along with the trainer or again realize this job is too much work for them.

And how many are still employed one year later? Well of the guys I kept in touch with from my orientation (of 50 on the first day) I am the only one still employed by TMC a year and a half later. There may be some that I didnt keep in touch with that are still with the company.

I would also second Terry's motion to arrive early. Due to my plane being delayed I arrived at 3am monday morning for 6am orientation, so I had just enough time to complete my paperwork packet and skip the sleep. By the way Terry, did they tell us anything important on the first day? :biggrin_25525: I might have slept through it.

5. Quanman

Quanman Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Loveland, Ohio
    Guys, I would like to talk or email back and forth. I am really torn between TMC and MAverick. I need some questions answered about TMC. How are your miles right now?

6. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    It seems that I cannot PM anyone because it is not an option on my screen. My IP is AOL. You have all the info you need to get in contact with me.

7. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    My miles are fine, vague I know, but I am on percentage pay and could care less how many miles I run in a week. I never add it up. They keep me busy. Freight is picking up. I never noticed a big slowdown, just cheaper freight.

8. ic40oz

ic40oz Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2008
    SA
    Good post, Would like to hear alot more about the orientation and training progress. I live in Columbia, SC, but unfortunetly, I am only 21. Gotta get my start somewhere else. Take care

9. NJ01vette

NJ01vette Bobtail Member

May 23, 2008
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Well, I am still here at Orientation, however I am not going to post any updates on what is actually said, done or otherwise, sorry guys. I just can't be sure who is reading this. Maybe I am a little paranoid, but I will say the 1st week was not 1/2 as bad as I thought it would be. We lost 5 guys this 1st week out of 21.
    TMC, from what I can see, is a top notch company. After I am assigned a trainer and out of orientation, I wil give a more complete assesment.
    Oh, and dont walk on the grass, That was the first thing said to me by the lady behind the check in desk at the hotel. They are serious about that.
    NJ01vette

10. Rob332

Rob332 Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Hey guys, just curious about the orientation. Do you take a lot of written practical tests? Does everyone share a room at the hotel in Des Moine?

Thanks,

Rob aka "Hammer"

11. Rawlco

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    At orientation in Des Moines you will share a room, probably with another person in orientation or perhaps a driver who is there getting his truck worked on. A few of the larger rooms might get a third person if space gets tight.

The first day you take some standard written tests almost like retaking the written portion of the CDL test over again. Prepare to get writers cramp that first day and use all the ink from one pen.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.