Going to TMC CDL training

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Mr. Wavy, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Mr. Wavy

Mr. Wavy Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Arkansas
    I'm hoping everything goes smooth. Thanks again for the insight too

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nb629

nb629 Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2012
    If you have ever done any physical work you will be amused at how concerned you are about the tarp test once you've completed it. As others have said just follow the instructions given before hand and you'll be fine. Always have three points of contact to the trailer or load. The guys that got sent home for failing tarp test actually could not get onto the trailer from the side. I also don't think the tarps weigh 120lbs more like 80 or 90. good luck and always follow instructions and you'll be fine

Mr. Wavy Thanks this.
  4. Mr. Wavy

Mr. Wavy Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Arkansas
    Thanks @nb629 I'm sure I am worried way too much about this, but I've got nothing but time to sit and worry about it for a couple weeks lol. But thanks for the reassurance

5. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    Update(s)?

How as that Tarp Test?

Mr. Wavy Thanks this.
  6. Mr. Wavy

Mr. Wavy Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Arkansas
    Hey @Farva this first week has been super busy, first time we've gotten back before 18:30-19:00, which I'm glad. Because there's A LOT to learn lol. But that tarp test was super easy. As long as you listen to the way the physical therapist says to lift it, it's a breeze. I was worried way too much about it. There were guys in my class that were smaller than me that was able to pass. We didn't have a single person fail the physical assessment test.
    And actually, we've only lost two people out of our class since we started. We lost one guy within 15 minutes because for some ####### reason, he didn't bring his ID with him? And the other guy had to go home because his dad was in the hospital and he didn't have long to live. So they got him home and told him to come back.
    First week down, and two more to go.
    If anyone has any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Highway Sailor and Farva Thank this.
  7. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota

Great to read, and thanks for replying back. I'm only 155lbs, 160 on a good day, so I'm just as worried as you were leading up to the tarp test and I suspect I'll be worried until it's behind me.

What about the getting up on top of the container bit? What does that entail?

As it pertains to orientation and that particular guy being home for forgetting something...what do you suggest we 100% make sure we bring?

My assumption is DL, CLP, Passport, DD214 (if applicable), info for direct deposit. Anything else?

Mr. Wavy Thanks this.
  8. Mr. Wavy

Mr. Wavy Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Arkansas

Like I said, we had guys way smaller than me and even a bit smaller than you. They give you everything you need to pass, and show you exactly how to get it done. As far as the climbing a ladder on a container, we didn't do that because it was 16° day one, so it was inside. They just had a 16 foot ladder set up. That's only to see if you're scared of heights. Don't stress about it too much. 80% of the people that leave, choose to leave and most of the people that are forced to leave, either dont bring the required stuff or fail the drug test.
    As far as what you need to bring, you'll need your CLP, DL, Social, passport or birth certificate (passport will only help you, so if you have one bring it), atlas (which you can buy here for like $18), bank info for direct deposit, work boots, and proper clothing for weather. And the weather this week has been all over the place, started with a blizzard, to warmer (like 30-40°), to rain, and to currently snowing.
    When are you coming?

Farva Thanks this.
  9. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota

Thanks again!

My start date isn't until 1/7.

I wouldn't have a problem with a ladder...it's the thought of stepping up onto a wet container from snow/ice/rain and slipping off the edge onto the ground with no (from watching the video they send you prior to orientation day) system in place to catch a fallen recruit (unlike the ability to grab the tarp or strap should be on a live load and miss-step).

Looks like I have everything you're suggesting ( I even have a 2 year DOT card, but I guess that doesn't matter), so now it's just playing the waiting game. Thankfully I'll be in Puerto Rico for the next 2 weeks. The downside of that is going from 80'-90' degree to Des Moines artic tundra.

10. Mr. Wavy

Mr. Wavy Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Arkansas
    Nah, it should still be set up inside. Itll be too cold for that. But if its icy or anything, they wouldn't just throw you out there. They are BIG into safety. Good luck to ya whenever you go. If you think of anything else, feel free to ask. Even after you get here.

Farva Thanks this.
  11. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    Thanks, man! If there's anything you think of that you wish you had known to ask or was told prior to starting and think it can be helpful to us newer folks, please post that up.

Have you guys already gotten into the trucks and onto the pad?

Mr. Wavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.