Going to Werner.

Discussion in 'Werner' started by Rollin_18, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Rollin_18

Rollin_18 Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Looks like I'll be going to Werner to start my career. Talked to the recruiter on Friday and she said the best buy desicated account is open. I hope the account is still open when I go to orientation. Any info on this account would be amazing.

I'll give y'all my bio later when I have more time. Any info on this account and if they stress getting your previous employment verified would be nice (I worked for this dude years ago and he wasn't the best at remembering names and probably not the best at keeping the info Werner would need).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bigchevy

Bigchevy Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2013
    colorado
    good luck getting that dedicated account. im Shure theirs a big line for that one, don't ever believe what a recruiter tells you and don't think that your going to get the runs you want when your just starting out, their job is to get you to sign on and make empty promises that are not going to be kept but I hope it all works out for you, it hasn't for many others going with them, keep us posted.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Did you look into other carriers in you area? Not saying Werner is bad but there are other options.

lovetodrive365 Thanks this.
  5. DeadArmadillo

DeadArmadillo Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    ....start.......hope...... Something tells me this will not end well.

6. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Be careful as they might pull the classic "that account was filled" line when you get to orientation.

missjhawk Thanks this.
  7. tkpinsc

tkpinsc Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2013
    I don't know much about the Best Buy account specifically, but I have met drivers happy on it.

I got on the Target account, 15 minutes from my house, 5 weeks after I finished training. The key is don't miss any appointments and don't hit anything when you go solo while waiting for an opening. Confirm with driver placement you will be eligible for the account and check to see what other accounts you may be eligible for. The recruiters often only mention Dollar General and Family Dollar as they are the hardest to keep drivers at. Each of the 200 or so dedicated accounts has a different set of criteria for experience and proximity to the account.

As soon as you finish orientation put your name on the list for the account and any other accounts you are interested in with driver placement. Check and see if there are any trainers on that account, there are trainers at most of Werner's dedicated accounts. You can start with another trainer thats available and switch when a Best Buy trainer is available. You'll need to be proactive to make this trainer switch happen by tracking down a list of trainers at the account you're interested in. Your training manager, forget the official title probably won't be interested in anything except keeping you on a trainer's truck. The Best Buy fleet manager would be a good place to start a conversation about this plan and also find out what your real chances are of ending up there. If you are able to finish training on the account you'll likely be offered a spot if the trainer tells the Fleet Manager you are capable of the job.

Rollin_18 Thanks this.
  8. Rollin_18

Dec 6, 2012
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thanks tkpinsc, you're the only person that gave any helpful knowledge. I didn't start a post get a bunch of negative feed back from pissed off employees/ex employees that don't do their job right and turn down loads left and right then wonder why they don't get loads. If it was easy, everybody would do it. I've looked into every trucking company in America, even applied (ill post a bio in one of my post later).

i like the way the best buy account sounds (I know that's the recruiters job) and I also know it's NOT going to be open when I go. Think about it. You train for 275 hours, about 8 weeks. If you really think that account will open then you don't know anything about the fast growing, high turnover rate industry we are in. I asked her about the dollar general and family dollar account (yes I know it's hard work for some/most who are scared to do work). My dad did the dollar tree account at USX and I would go all the time, kinda started to love unloading.

after I explain in my bio you will know that I'm serious about this industry, I'm not at lost of work and just wanting to drive because it what other non real reasons are out there. Driving is something love, and enjoy doing. I don't care what account I'm on, if I'm driving I'll be happy. If I'm in a big truck, I'll bd happy. You have to understand, you will wait and wait and wait for a load sometimes, and that load may turn out to be only 100 miles, that's part of it.

every company is the same, they need a steering wheel holder to drive the truck for .26 - .41 a mile (while they get around $2 a mile). They will all screw you over at one point. Just drive the truck and don't turn down a load.

Im going off a rank so ima end it. I'll post a bio once I get on the computer (on my phone now). Just don't want to hear a bunch of negative ####, that's uncalled for.

Don't know if I said this or not but tkpinsc ima get a list of a bunch of accounts tomorrow, I was actually thinking that earlier because I know the best buy is not going to be open. If it's open, great. If not, oh well. I can wait. Where one door closes it opens another one. Stop looking at/pointing at the negative.

9. tkpinsc

tkpinsc Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Unfortunately your timing is bad for getting on a seasonal retail account like Best Buy, Bass Pro or Target quickly. They tend to hire extra drivers in October and November and you probably could have got on straight out of training during those months. Most of Werner's dedicated accounts do not take very long to get assigned to if you keep a clean record while OTR where you will likely be placed to start out. At the dedicated accounts I'm familiar with drivers who live close to the home DC are given priority in the hiring process. At the dedicated I'm on there is enough turnover that someone can get assigned reasonably quickly. Some of the drivers here have earned their million mile medallions here and others plan to. Meanwhile others become bored with running the same routes, or don't live close enough to take advantage of the frequent home time and quickly move on.

What most drivers, including many of the Warner OTR guys forget is the Werner logo says "Specialized Carriers" and half the Werner trucks are assigned to the dedicated fleets. Some of the accounts like Dollar General and Target are visible because we pull what amount to billboards owned by the client. On other accounts like Home Depot we pull Werner blue trailers and folks don't realize they are assigned to a dedicated account as well.

Something you seem to grasp is Werner is a big company, and like a lot of big companies you will need to be proactive about ending up in the position you want. If you sit patiently waiting for someone else to look out for your best interest, the experience will be disappointing. Recruiters and Driver placement are paid to fill seats and their priority is not to put you in the seat you want, however they will work with you if you keep a clean record since it is easier to keep a good driver than find another.

10. lovetodrive365

lovetodrive365 Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Huntsville, Alabama
    I waited a good 6 weeks for Werner recruiter to get back to me. I don't know what the problem was, because I have an excellent record for on time deliveries, and no points on my CDL. Another company, offered me a job and I start Wednesday, yay. It's not that Werner is a bad company, my brother-in-law drove for them for years, and the recommendation came from him, but maybe they don't like women, who knows. I will not be recommending Werner to anyone, only because of how I was treated in the recruiting process, come on-the least he could have done was call and let me know why. (I don't get PMS so I don't know what he was afraid of...) By I am so happy to say, "See you on the Road!" : D

11. Rollin_18

Dec 6, 2012
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Werners loss,right lol. I wanted to go to USX but the recruiter still hasn't said anything. I called Werner today and set up my orientation date for the 30th of December down in Springfield, OH. Anybody else on here going that day hit me up. I'll post my bio tonight when I get in the sauna, need some relaxation in my life.

lovetodrive365 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.