Going with Roehl

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Pedy6Pak, May 16, 2007.

1. Hey Army91w,
    I already have my CDL. I spent my last 3 months in the Navy going to the local community college every weekend and let my tuition assistance pay for it. Only cost me $300. I do not need the free class that Roehl provides. It does look like a good deal for someone that does not have the ability to do it prior to getting out. I am going to do the apprentice program with them. The way I look at it, the pay from Roehl is close to what it would be if I was running by the mile, but I will also be drawing some money from the VA and my Montgomery GI Bill. I put that $1200 in there 20 years ago and didn’t think that I would ever actually use it. Now I will end up getting my money back. If I figured it out correctly, I will get about $15,000 out of my GI Bill and that money is tax free. Carrie, my recruiter told me that you can still be in the Honor program and not do the apprenticeship. She said that Roehl give all vets in the Honor Program a patch, and sticker to put on your truck some how so everyone knows you are a vet. That does not mater to me, but I think the money from the VA will make a difference. It comes out to almost $10k tax free the first year.

Good luck to you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I forgot about that tax free part. Along with not having to worry about freight being slow because you're on salary it's probably the best program out there for vets. Good luck with Roehl this website is 90% positive about them. Maybe they'll give you a new truck to put that sticker on. ha ha.

4. devildice

devildice Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Texas
    Here is some info on the Honor Program that I posted on another thread. It really isn't that bad of a deal IF you NEVER plan on using your G.I. Bill for anything else.....BUT, you got to remember, since Roehl is paying a salary, they could run the dog snot out of you and not compensate you like they would for a regualr cpm driver......not saying they would, but just something to think about.

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/roehl/21118-roehl-honor-program.html

5. Very good post. I have thought about that. They could really get their monies worth out of a person on a salary vice CPM. I hope what I read on this and a few other forums are true about the company being a driver conscious company. If so, I don't have anything to worry about. My main goal is to get the experience to make myself marketable. I did the same thing as far as figuring out the money. You did an outstand job of laying it out. The only differnece is I was told that the pay is biweekly, not twice a month. That makes 26 pay periods a year, not 24. That puts another $2800+in your pocket before taxes. I do not plan to use my GI Bill later, at least I don't right now. I have been using the Navy's Tuition Assistance for the last 3 years while I was on shore duty to finish my Associates degree. I don't think I want to go on. You never know, that may change, but if it doesn't, my GI bill will just go to waiste. I think this is a good way to get something back out of my GI Bill.

6. Road Dog

Road Dog Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Pedy,I think you made a wise decision in signing on with Roehl.I am no longer driving for them,I decided to retire for about the third time.I found that they treat their drivers like human beings,and I had VERY FEW problems with them.Just a couple of issues that a phone call took care of.I was on the 7 on 7 off program,and they kept me rolling pretty good on my 7 day trips.I went thru orientation at Gary,IN and it was a down to earth,right to the point couple of days.I was at the Ellenwood term.several times and it is a small term.Everyone there seemed to be freindly and helpful.Same way at the Gary term.I never went to the main term.in Marshfield,WI.but I understand it is much bigger than the others.Good luck.

7. Road Dog

Aug 1, 2006
    Whispers,So your gonna make the jump,and get into trucking.hope ya know what your letting yourself in for.Maybe you and your hubby can get into a team operation,which works out well for a lot of couples.Good luck on your new venture.

8. devildice

devildice Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Texas
    My gut instint tells me that Roehl is a wise choice. I have done research over the past 3 years while on shore duty and Roehl is agood company IMO. There are a few companies that offer a VA apprenteship program, and again, IMO, Roehl's is the best for the VET. As far as the bi-weekly pay, here is what it says at the bottom of the Honor Program pay chart.......
    *Trainee period is total of 6 weeks (3 bi-weekly pay periods) following completion of skills training and orientation.
    **Bi-weekly compensation is based on 14 day period - to earn full pay driver must work a minimum of 11 days out of the 14.

9. Thanks Road Dog,

I value your opinion. I wish you luck in retirement.

My father-in-Laws brother drives for JP Noonan up in Massachusetts. He has been driving a truck for 50+ years. He is 72 and says he is going to drive until he can’t do it anymore. He told me that he loves to drive and has no plans to retire soon.

What will you fill your time with now that you are retired? My father retired back in 97 from Motorola and built a wood shop out behind his house. He has made furniture for my mother and sister. He recently got into turning wood. He likes to make pen and pencil sets and bowls and stuff like that.

Good luck and thanks for the info,
    Rob

10. Road Dog

Aug 1, 2006
    Well,Pedy,I am into the same thing.I have a woodshop where I like to spend time making furniture,etc.I also have a couple of older pickup trucks that I work on and take to shows.A 1955 Chevy,that I have turned into a first class streetrod,and every year I make at least one improvement on it.Also a 1972 Chevy pickup that is restored to very nice condition.I will continue to keep up my CDL,I never know when I might need it again.I will also keep tabs on this site.Truckin is something that gets in your blood.Again good Luck at Roehl.

11. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

The same here. I will always keep my CDL, but it is nice to be home and have a regular life to do things. I too have a couple of trucks I am working on, but it is not to restore them.:biggrin_25523:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.