good idea? if so....

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by djtrucker, Aug 3, 2010.

1. djtrucker

djtrucker Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2010
    ft worth,tx
    ok, so ive read and researched alot. but im not sure what would be best. i could go to a cdl mill,or i could get my cdl on my own and try to find a local co. willing to train and hire me(if thats possible) gone over the pros and cons of each, and am leaning toward the latter if it is possible i would perfer that. my wife is going to deliver our next tax deduction in december. i am eager to get my driving carreer started....so can anyone recomend (specific if possible) any companies that do that. i live in ft worth tx.

and would it be a good way to get experence before going otr.
    i intend on going otr after the baby gets here.

another ? if i pass my written test and rent a truck and pass my driving test is that all there is,i have my cdl.

thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    Back in the early 90's you could do that pretty easily, but now a days I doubt it. I would do it the way your wanting to and I don't blame you. You wouldn't be held to a company.

djtrucker Thanks this.
  4. JasonTheRock

JasonTheRock Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Oakland, Ca.
    I would suggest trying to get your CDL on your own through the state, there are a lot of programs for unemployed people and veterans were u don't have to pay. If you go to a trucking company and go to their school you are held hostage until you work long enough for them until the schooling is paid off (usually a year). If you got before that time they hammer you with the costs and huge interest rates.
    Because of the looming driver shortage, a lot of companies are lowering their OTR experience to 6 months so it would be easy to move to another company if you arnt obligated because of the schooling.

5. CBtalker205

CBtalker205 Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    In Texas if you pass the written test all you have to do is show up at a DPS testing facility with a leagl truck (straight for Class B, Combination for Class A), show proof of insurance and pass the driving test. The trailer does not have to have air brakes, just make sure all your lights are working, and the electric brake works on the trailer.

Pass this test and you're good to go. Find a small mom and pop company hauling grain or aggregate or something like that. Drive with them for a year or so and get good at docking and highway driving, and try a few companies to see who bites.

6. djtrucker

Jun 27, 2010
    ft worth,tx
    i wouldnt mind going to one or sighning a contract with a big co.
    if my wife wasnt expecting and we were $$ stable i would be in a school now. as it stands i could pass my tests get my cdl and hope to find work driving. but if theres noone hiring in that sinerio(spelled wrong) would it be a good idea to just wait a few months find some 9-5 and attend school later on after the baby gets here.as much as i wanna drive(and belive me when i tell you its with every fiber of my being that i want to)i will do whats smart before i jump in head first. if it is possible to find work driving otr without school. to go to a co. that will train someone pls tell me how i can do that.

no smart *** remarks needed

momma always said "if you cant say somthin nice, be ready for a pop in the mouth"

7. CBtalker205

Oct 30, 2008
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Also I must add, if you decide to rent the truck you better know someone with a valid Class A to drive it from the lot to the DPS.

8. djtrucker

Jun 27, 2010
    ft worth,tx
    thanks yall. good advice. do yall know how i would word the search on google for mom n pop transport co.s , i can rent a truck and trainer for 450.00 for the driving test.i can pass the written with my eyes closed been doing lots of studying

9. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    My opinion!!!!

Stay with your ol' lady right now. With her being prego, those hormones bounce from one side of the sector to the other side... She needs you right now. If you go to trucking, those hormones will tell her that you abandoned her. Although we all know that isn't the case.... But you can't tell those hormones anything different.

Wait till she pops.... Then discuss it with her. If you then become to a joint decision for you to go trailer trucking..... Then go trailer trucking!

10. djtrucker

Jun 27, 2010
    ft worth,tx
    the truck stays parked in front of dps office. pretty convienient huh

11. CBtalker205

Oct 30, 2008
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Heres what I did. I got a job at a local city utility department. They required you to get at least a class B to drive the dump trucks. So I went a little further for my own good and got the A. I spent a year and a half driving around town with a dump truck most of the time with a 30' trailer attatched with 35-60,000 lbs of steel road plates.
    I got tired of the politics with the city and decided to put my name out there. I spent every bit of 4 months doing research and putting in apps. I finally decided on a local flatbed outfit here in my area. I got lucky with a home to Houston and back run everyday. I am home every night and make good money too. Better than the city anyway.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.