Good Night From II

Discussion in 'Swift' started by scottied67, Feb 19, 2014.

1. WitchyWomen

WitchyWomen Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Buckeye, AZ
    The rain and snow are forecasted for the whole weekend I hope it clears enough for you to get going.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I was able to get out this morning. I waited an extra couple hours just to be sure the roads weren't too bad.
    Another mac 22 to push out the delivery another 2 hours, which was never responded to.
    When I got to the consignee the receiving window was empty and dark, but the fork lift guy gave me a door and had me unloaded in less then 20 minutes.

Now I'm waiting for a pplan, and hopefully it will start getting me to MN for my home time.
    No way to get there by my requested date at this point, but that's no big deal.

4. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

Petro in Sparks, NV, wondering why they call it a "seafood buffet", when anything sea related is deep fried and cold.

Delivery scheduled for tomorrow night in Tracy, CA, but Donner is closed to trucks at this time. It was chains-only earlier today, but I am a firm believer that chains are only to get you back to the place you shouldn't have left in the first place. Sounds like I'm staying put until Monday at the earliest.

5. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I'm probably in the same boat.

Las Vegas at the TA, headed to Salt Lake City.
    The forecast is, you guessed it... snow, snow and more snow for everything between here and there.
    But in the early wee hours I'll be heading out to get a few more miles.
    I'm hoping to get at least as far as Mesquite to the Walmart. That way at least I'll have some supplies for the wait. I might even make it Cedar City.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  6. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    If you make it to SLC. I'm up here at West valley. For the time being anyway.

7. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I did get here. Hardly any bad weather at all.

I'm at the Love's, waiting on hold with JV.

I went to Costco to pick up a load headed for Parker, CO. Turns out it was overweight and there is no one there until Monday to rework it. The load was voided.
    I grabbed my mt and headed out, but the lady in the guard house didn't want to let me leave with my mt.
    "We don't release empties, but you can go to the terminal to get one."
    Um, no. I came in with this trailer and I'm leaving with it.
    We had a few words and she finally let me take it.

I went to Love's and actually found a spot. Rare.
    Then I got another pplan picking up at Costco going to Superior, CO. The plan said by 0400 for a 1700 delivery on the 22nd.
    I countered with a 0600 pick up so I would have some of my 14 left when I was finished with the live unload, but it was not accepted.
    Now I'm on hold waiting to speak with someone about it, since on time delivery won't be a problem (barring weather...).

8. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    So everyone was ignoring me.
    I sent a freeform message saying I could do the load, then sent a mac 10 to the planners saying the same thing.
    After 50 minutes on hold with JV I hung up.

A bit later they resent the pplan with a message that it was fine as long as it delivered on time, so I took it.
    And the pick up times were always different and earlier than the original. Go figure.

On a side note, I am really enjoying my new 2017 Cascadia.
    Auto trans is great, for the most part. I have to be careful with a couple things.
    The adaptive cruise control is nice, for the most part. But I have to be careful with some things.
    The temperature controlled idle shut down sucks big time, in every way.
    The 1800W inverter is great in every way.

inkeper and dptrucker Thank this.
  9. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

That, it definitely does. Park at 6 PM in the heat in the Southwest, and the engine shuts off around midnight. Then you put the screens in the windows, and turn on the big box fan. Good thing you have that inverter...

Go to a shop in a nice, hot state and ask them to kill the idle timer. If they won't outright remove it, they may be willing to give you the old bypassable 5 minute timer instead.

And then there's that moronic 60 on the pedal/62 on cruise thing. I'd like to know what meat brain thought up that one, and hear why they thought it was a good idea. Sure, let's force you to run cruise in heavy traffic to keep up... The shop can set your pedal to 62.

The shops do have a lot of discretion on making these changes. As a mentor and team driver, I've been able to get both taken care of on all three of my trucks; my current one was fixed even before I left Phoenix. As a solo driver, you may have a bit harder time. Come up with a good safety based argument, and ask nicely. :)

10. SteveH85396

SteveH85396 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Waddell, AZ
    My Kenworth does the same thing, 65 on the throttle, 67 on the cruise. I discovered that if the cruise is set to say 62 the truck WILL do 67 on the throttle. I use this technique in Phoenix traffic. When in SoCal traffic I almost NEVER use the cruise to prevent me from exceeding the speed limit by more than 10 mph.

My truck has the temperature shutdown as well. I found that if I hit the resume feature of the cruise that the idle will raise 100 rpm and the truck will idle forever.

11. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    Just set your cruise to 62 then drop into jake 1...your cruise is still set to 62 (unless you hit the brakes) but you control the speed with your foot.

Moosetek13 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.