Good night from...

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Hamshoe, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    By the way, when I was picking up some spare headlight bulbs in the Phoenix parts, I saw a memo from Mr. Stockey talking about the principles to guide the service department. The key point in the memo was to adopt the Marines 70% solution, ie. the critical factor is not to get something perfect, but to get a solution quickly that is 70% good and "get it out the door". The goal is fast service to get trucks on the road quickly.

While this does benefit drivers by minimizing down time while in the shop, I think it overlooks the fact that 70% solutions leave unresolved problems that can blow up into increased costs: On Road service calls, towing charges, driver layover and hotel costs, repowered loads, bus tickets, etc. etc.

The unit I inherited seems to be a victim of this philosophy. I saw the computer screen when it first went into the shop and saw that it was getting 7.6 mpg average only eight months ago. Then the next diagnostic review was about two months ago and the mileage had dropped to 6.5 mpg. Since I started driving it about a week ago it is averaging about 5.8 mpg. I've had it in the shop for diagnostics four times in this week, had the DEF hose replaced, regen'ed it twice, recalibrated the Qualcomm, etc. etc.... and the last time in the Phoenix shop was told according to the computer diagnostics that they "couldn't do anything for me because the diagnostics said it was all good"...

... well, I can tell it isn't all good. Check engine lights still popping on intermittently, high mpg, ROUGH sounding engine that indicates at least two cylinders aren't firing correctly (especially when I dial down the jake brake to 2 cylinders)...

... yeah, if I were an O/O with this unit and relied on Swift's shops to get it right, then I'd go out of business too.

It seems to be a matter of time before a major mechanical problem happens with the engine. I'm just praying it doesn't happen in the middle of nowhere, or in the middle of a very bad situation (ie. very dangerous). I can see blowing the engine in the middle of a steep downgrade and losing power steering and engine braking power...

.... 70%? Not a comforting thought...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveH85396

SteveH85396 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Waddell, AZ
    I routinely take Costco loads from Phoenix to Vegas and usually get 6.0-6.2 mpg. My 12 Cascadia routinely gets 8+ mpg with lighter loads when not in the mountains.

4. SteveH85396

SteveH85396 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Waddell, AZ
    At final in Everett. Arrived @ 8:10 for my 9:00 pm appt and MT by 9:10.
    On top of that they allow overnight parking so no trying to find a place to park.
    Now if I can find a load home all will be right in my world.

5. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    sitting in Grenada Hills for my live unload, got here at 22:00 and found out they dont even unload until after midnight but I went in and finished doing some more shopping for christmas, my wife has been bugging me for kitchen stuff for Christmas and she pointed out a cheap pot and pan set, well i got her a nice ceramic non stick paula dean set instead since its her favorite person and she has been saying how she would love her cookware for who knows how long and I even found it on clearance for $73, also got her a real nice glassware set which includes 2 sizes and 12 glasses, some new utensils to keep that nice pot and pan set a nice set and a few other things, I think I spent about $200 on her this year which is a heck of a lot more than I was able to afford in the past. So far I think I have everyone covered or I hope so but I kept another $200 aside in case I forgot someone or something. I am just extremely thankful I can provide my family with a nice Christmas this time around, the past 2 years were very rough and I had to choose between bills and gifts.

Once this live unload finishes then im heading to Long Beach for a Yussen load, depending on how much time is left on my 14 I might have to shut down on the side street then take it back to the DC tomorrow after a 10, then got a load that cuts at 1500 and delivers in Merced by 2000, so far thats my only load for tomorrow because im working off minimal recaps since my 34 got interrupted but I gain 10:37 tonight and 7:39 tomorrow night so maybe depending what happens tomorrow I might be able to snatch up a load that didnt get covered.

@Rightcoast good luck on that dedicated!

6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Back in my own truck at the drop yard in Tuscan, AZ.
    And, headed out tomorrow with a load from here to Laredo, TX.
    With no A/C.

The temp is supposed to be around 85, so while uncomfortable it is doable.
    I'll put it in the shop when I get there and hope it doesn't take 4 days to get fixed like the last time I was in that shop for the exact same problem with a different truck.
    That was in the summer, though. I'm hoping they are not quite so busy this time.
    I also need a windshield because a chip turned into a big crack when I was in zero degree temps a couple weeks back, and a couple other little things.
    Hopefully they won't follow the 70% rule.

I had planned a nice salmon dinner tonight, but the batteries got too low and my cooler was shut off. Everything was fairly warm when I got back.
    I can't trust the quality of my food, so I am heating up a can of soup.

3 days of effort to get an abandoned truck back to Phoenix, and me back to my truck.
    I got paid $50 plus the short miles to Phoenix for my time.
    I'll speak to my DM and see if I can get a bit more, but I'll be hesitant to do this kind of favor again.

7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Wolf, aside from the hours and trying to run everything possible...
    I'm really glad that you can provide a nice Christmas for your family this year.
    She'll probably use those things to make you a really good dinner (and dessert) when you get back.

Wolfyinc Thanks this.
  8. koncrete cowboy

koncrete cowboy Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Hanna wyoming broke down....turbo said ...enuff.....no parts within 130 miles.waiting on a repower then bobtail to Cheyenne. .still hoping I might get home for the 25th....but looking bleek.

9. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    Ahem, cough cough...did you remember your old pal Inkeper? I don't need the whole 200, $100 will do just fine!:biggrin_25520::biggrin_25517:

10. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    yeah things turned around with Swift and I got lucky for this gig and the past one but there for awhile I was close to leaving. She cooks for me every time im home unless I treat her out to dinner or we are just out running errands all day but she will wake me up with coffee and breakfast. She is already baking like crazy since she gives out platters during Christmas to friends and family, my mentor got to benefit from her baking while I was on his truck. I am trying to run hard and keep busy so they keep me on the fleet, so far they seem happy with me, have received several messages on the qc thanking me for an outstanding job from the DM and the night dispatchers. The first couple "tight" days as they thought were tight they would call me and message me several times checking on my status and if I was going to make my loads on time etc, now they seem to have eased back and left me alone more. I have told them I can do more miles, I dont call a 10 hour window for 150 miles "tight" even for 300 miles lol. I found out the more high priority loads they stick a smaller window just to push some drivers that like to slack and be late, got a load one day where the trailer was supposed to cut at noon and was supposed to be delivered down south by 1400, I told the guy there is no possible way im getting a heavy load there in time going up that hill but I could get it there around 14:30-1500 and then he said thats fine it has more time on it but the store has been late to a few times....

I was told sometimes come February it can slow down where they have to send a couple drivers OTR for a month or so and its normally the newest to the fleet but I was also told by the guy who trained me that they tend to send a slacker first and if I showed them im hard working they usually dont send those ones back out. Hopefully it wont slow down this year too much, the DM said last year it stayed busy but the year before and prior it got hit hard with the economy. He said this has been the busiest season in years so hopefully it continues.

and lol inkeeper

11. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    just realized today is my one year anniversary here with swift

inkeper Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.