Good Ol' Dick Simon--another Salt Lake bad apple

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by Tip, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lonesome_dove

lonesome_dove Bobtail Member

hello there preacherman

There is not much to tell you about my training with central because i went to school in spokane but i went out with a trainer for 6 weeks, are you haveing trouble with your trainer let me know how you are coming along I will try and get back to you as soon as I can. Right now we are in ohio picking up a load going to california but I will get back at you. Have a good one and drive safe. Lonesome_dove:biggrin_25526:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2nd career

2nd career Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Mesquite,NV
    Any other input from loyal writers about Central Ref ?

4. tichdaddy

tichdaddy Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Dallas, GA
    Got a pre hire approval from Central today.
    Recruiter sure pressed hard for their school.
    Looks like I am on the hook for $1,200 at $25 a week.

Probably a good school, but think I will make my own choice there.

Central a good starting carrier for a newbie?
    How's their trainers?
    Sounds like they (Central) treat you well from what I have been reading here.

Any comments welcome.
    Thanks..

5. fido1977

fido1977 Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2007
    vidalia ga
    for a young driver and if this is the career you want for yourself id go there, anywhere for that matter a job is what you make of it these days all of the bigger companies are the same so just pick the one that siuts you the best and go for it but if you want my advice please dont choose this career there is no money and no real hometime anymore due to fuel prices, etc this is a fact im sorry to tell you this but dont go get yourself in a big debt and you not likeing this job when you get out here and then leaving the business and still having the debt just give it a 2nd thought and ask more people im sure they will tell you similar things best of luck fido

6. tichdaddy

tichdaddy Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Dallas, GA
    Fido,

Thanks for the advice.

I am waiting to hear from several companies that are in the same industry that I have been in for 20 years.(broadcast television)

Always wanted to get in to trucking though.
    Realize that hometime will be sacrificed and starting out the $ will be bad.
    Would rather get local delivery route (milk, soft drink etc.) but MVR is not so great.

If I can't jump back in my old line of work, then will pick the best start out carrier and go from there.

Thanks again...

7. act6629

act6629 Heavy Load Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Spring, TX
    My older brother worked for Simon for about 2 weeks before Simon folded and laid him off. What pisses me off is that we're both from Florida and Simon hired him even after he got fired from England for a preventable accident, but yet Central won't hire me just because of where I live. How lame is that? :biggrin_25516:

8. christian_cowboy

christian_cowboy Bobtail Member

May 3, 2009
    Decatur, Texas
    I worked for Dick Simon myself in 1999, they treated me very well, I got the opportunity to meet Dick Simon himself during one trip to Salt Lake City, he is a very nice man that really cared about my personal welfare at his company. I worked for a few differant trucking companies over the years and I must say I never had a better time anywhere than I had at Dick Simon.

9. Dark_Majesty_06

Dark_Majesty_06 Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Poplar bluff, mo
    Central has its good and bad points.. You might think that 2 weeks is not enough time to learn basics.. Trust me.. If you have the drive and want.. They will teach you the very basics. That you can build upon and become successful.

I'm not going to lie tho.. You need comon sense and you need to be careful. If you go and loose sight of what your doing in that truck.. You will kill someone or yourselfm

You do have to keep on top of the company in someways.. Such as the mile department and payroll. Also.. If you feel your otr trainer doesn't or isn't teaching you what you think you need to know.. Get a new one.

If you don't catch on out there. You won't have another chance to learn. So for the most part.. Its a decent starter company.. And if you can get the miles.. Ane stay accident free.. You'll do great!

10. hillbillydelux

hillbillydelux Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Antwerp,OH
    Well, for anyone who is still reading this thread let me tell you that Central is just as crooked and messed up as the Skunster was.

Cowgirl

11. christian_cowboy

christian_cowboy Bobtail Member

May 3, 2009
    Decatur, Texas
    I worked for Dick Simon Trucking 99/00 I wish I had of stayed longer, I went to Dick Simon as an experianced driver so no I don't really know anything about the training program they had, but as far as the overall system of trucking, I loved working for them, some of the nicest people I've ever worked for at that. I have nothing but great memories of my time spent at Dick Simon Trucking.

Skunk_Truck_2590 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.