good small flatbed company's?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by cheeseburger, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Polarbear857

Polarbear857 Light Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Coatesville pa
    What they dont have 10000 lights? Or the only pgt truck you saw had flickering lights.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    No lights, and the trailer and truck were part of the road test. But no one prior had noticed it, since I really did do a Pre-trip prior, rather than just hop in and do the road test. It left a very bad impression with me, as you can tell.

Checking the CSA scores, verifies, to me, I made the right choice NOT to stick around and hope: PGT CSA Scores

4. Polarbear857

Nov 14, 2011
    Coatesville pa
    If you read the entire Web page that doesnt really mean anything. CSA is a bunch of crap. If you look at just about any carrier with a good amount of trucks they probably have a higher score than that. Just remember if YOU cross your T's and dot your I's youll be fine.

lonelyswmtrucker Thanks this.
  5. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    I respectfully disagree with your characterization of CSA. I think CSA scores on carriers is very useful to a driver, especially a carrier with a good amount of trucks. It exposes the quality of the companies maintenance philosophy, accountability, record and culture...especially when you check the individual violations of what is involved, and I'm just referring to the Vehicle Maintenance score where they aren't at intervention threshold levels, YET! This is one of the areas that takes BOTH company and driver to participate to affect it's outcome. This doesn't even count the Unsafe and Fatigued Driving categories where they are exceeding intervention threshold levels.

As is viewed by the CSA scores that I link to, automatic brake adjusters, brake/hose tubing securement, Tractor/Trailer combination ABS systems inoperative, suspension parts, headlight glazing, retro reflective sheeting, oil and grease leaks..... these are all company maintenance issues that either aren't being enforced by the company executives, mechanics and/or drivers. These things don't just happen because of one person overlooking it, they happen because of many people overlooking it...hence the "culture" aspect. Since I have driven for a mega carrier, I'm well aware of their "priorities" when they talk safety to you, and their response to you when you do bring it up to them, like the response I got from the tester when I informed them of the problems. (Oh, just grab another one)

I found them lacking ...because I do cross the t's and dot the i's.

Good Luck

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  6. lumberhauler_oh

lumberhauler_oh Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2008
    lima ohio
    ok you can say what you want about pgt but ill say from experience
    been there 9 years and done #### well with them my only regret is i didnt go with them in the 80s
    im a o/o make #### good money and always home on weekend. they have lots of work and want
    you to be happy . most of the csa scores are from fleet owners who dont keep up thier trucks
    which has come to a head they will get rid of you if you dont stay legal

CAXPT Thanks this.
  7. Polarbear857

Nov 14, 2011
    Coatesville pa
    Like I said doesnt mean much about the carrier. They are high in one or two of the five basics? Who isnt.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  8. jpracer1

jpracer1 Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2009
    company driver or o/o,interested in a lease purchase?

9. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    They pay you by the mileage there don't they????

ME !!!! :p

CAXPT Thanks this.
  10. Cummins_444

Cummins_444 Medium Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Northwest, IN
    Pgt is percent. 75% of line haul 100% fuel surcharge. I believe they changed the trailer rent to 5%

11. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    I was composing a response with a bunch of other like size and bigger companies that had low scores but ran into the "picture" limit on the forum....but your response will do for the point I was trying to make. :D

Thanks.
    :biggrin_255:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.