Good stand alone dash cam?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Dino soar, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I have a few GPS apps so for now I'll work with them but can anyone recommend a stand alone dash cam?

It's nice when someone gives you a recommendation on a specific model so that you know it has the right resolution and will catch their tag number and whatever else if needed.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    I use this one Garmin Dash Cam™ 57 | Dash Cam | In-Car Camera its actully the one that recorded the vid of that moron who ran a red and got me.

Just make sure to turn the quality up in settings and use high endurance SD cards. The normal ones start having data issues after a year or so. The high endurance ones typically last 5 years from my experince. These are the ones i use in particular https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Endurance-128GB-Micro-Adapter/dp/B07B984HJ5 you can get smaller capacity and save $5-10 but i prefer having the 16 hours of recording. I also like the remote access so if my curtain is closed i can still see whats going on outside or play the outside video in mini mode on my tablet or laptop.

xsetra and Dino soar Thank this.
  4. Lexuslane

Lexuslane Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2021
    Get one with Bluetooth or a cord so you can download the saved clips to your phone

having to mess around with the SD cards to show the video to the cops before they start writing tickets makes your camera useless .

smokey12 Thanks this.
  5. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Depends on the cam honestly. Mine still uses an SD but can download to my phone via wifi or bluetooth. It can also direct connect via a usb cord and upload that way. I find non SD card cams have a low quality recording and SD card cams are more fiddly but have a much better recording in general.

The only exceptions usually push into the 4 digit range.

6. Troy_

Troy_ Heavy Load Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    I second the Garmin cams (47, 57, or 67W). Great resolution, app lets you trim clips and export them to your phone or other devices using built in wifi. If you have more than one they can be linked together, when you save a clip to one it saves the clip for that moment on all of the connected cams.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  7. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    Have run a Vantrue X model for several years now. X3 was with wifi connection to the phone to download videos , view etc.. Latest model is the X4S. 4K cam with multiple resolution options also with wifi , much faster download speed to the phone. One version has a rear cam to hook up as well. Optional GPS mount that tracks position and speed in the video data.

Definitely recommend them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.