Google maps... what IS it good for?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Commuter69, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This is true but it is my understanding that all state highways that are approved for trucks have low bridge listings in the Rand McNally truckers atlas. It is when you get off on local roads when you can get that surprise. This is why I always called the customer and asked.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KingCocoaBean

KingCocoaBean Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2016
    I use it to see what the shipper/reciever looks like. How big it is, space, where to park, etc. Also to see where to go in at. Can be tricky.

4. walstib

walstib Darkstar

I loved it! Instant routes, traffic and it allowed me to view destination before getting there, big plus!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  5. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    I use it everyday for local work. Quick route options with traffic overlay, i just add 10 to 15 min to the eta and its almost always dead on acurate for drive times, as for truck routes... sometimes ya gotta punt!

6. Made_In_Haiti

Made_In_Haiti Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Miramar,Florida
    For the past two years I been using Google map to tell you the true its way better and reliable then any of these big trucks GPS . as long as you keep scanning the road you should be fine with Google map . just pay attention to the signs anything that say no trucks just don't turn on it

7. Jazzy J

Jazzy J Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2015
    georgia
    I love google maps and I love my Garmin HD 7"gps. I use the gps to route me between destinations and google maps is used to check out shipper/receiver for truck entrance and overnight parking and finding Walmart to see if its a good one to park a truck.

Big Don Thanks this.
  8. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Obviously, you know how to use the tool of the trade. Congratulations, you seem to be in the minority...

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Sometimes you have to if down that street is where your delivery is. ;)

10. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    All I use is google maps and a phone gets me there every time.

11. Wuss

Wuss Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2016
    I use gmaps and it has probably saved my life a few times.. I zone out pedal to the floor rocking my music.. I don't slow down for a blind turn on the highway.. well a crap load of times gmaps has shown red around the turn and one time at least I'd have went right through some cars had it not let me know the traffic jam was around the bend.. its to a point I always look at gmaps if i can't see around just to see if I can get an early jam warning.. no gmaps dont show no truck routes but if you pass the turn it'll re route you..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.