Google maps... what IS it good for?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Commuter69, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Scary! Get your head out of your er MUSIC and get your eyes open!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Made_In_Haiti

Made_In_Haiti Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Miramar,Florida
    Yeah true

4. JoeyBowman

JoeyBowman Medium Load Member

Jul 21, 2012
    NC
    I LOVE google, doing a lot of LTL deliveries it comes in handy to check the best way to get into a place, direct routes, use street view to check bridge clearances, look for no truck signs on certain routes, traffic updates. I would love to see google introduce a truck version. Would be the best.

5. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    As it stands in it's current state, Google maps has it's merits for a limited number of situations for commercial users, but if Google were to partner with a Rand McNally or a Garmin to incorporate their software into Google Maps, it would be more useful.

Just saying...

6. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    trip planning no its not the best but for getting a visual of the last legs of the race of the trip you already have planned out, getting satilite view to see a realistic look at what the roads around the shipper will look like, street view for a good view of the shipper if its a tight place you haven't been to so you can see what it will look like when you pull up just like standing in front it.

7. c704710

c704710 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2018
    That's all well and good until the customer directs you under a 13"5' bridge on a road not in the atlas. We need fact based data, not customer reconIng.

8. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Something else I use Google maps for is if I am going to a large DC (Wally world is a perfect example).... I satellite view the location and zoom around to find what looks like the truck entrance(which may be clear on the other side of the property and NOT well marked). I drop a pin at that spot and use the GPS coordinates it gives me in my NAV.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    "Google!"

"Maps!"

"What is it good for?"

"Absolutely"

"NOTHIN'!"

"Say it again, yaaaah"........

Dennixx, Lepton1 and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    HAVE YOU HAD A SHIPPER OR RECEIVER DO THIS TO YOU? It sure is all the sudden funny that what drivers did for years and years before GPS or Google got by with this information. Next point you have better reread my comment. I was not talking about roads NOT in the atlas.

When I was active 90% of the time I went to places I had experience with or my company put warnings in the dispatch. I very rarely called a customer. However when I did I always got good information. In that comment I quoted that person has said something NOT true.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.